TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Affirmative DW Finding Mandatory on a Plea
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Affirmative DW Finding Mandatory on a Plea Login/Join 
posted
Assuming a defendant has pled to an offense that has the use of a deadly weapon as an element of an offense, is a judge required to make an affirmative finding of a deadly weapon? Moreover, can a judge sentence a defendant to regular community supervision for offenses such as aggravated assault with a deadly weapon or deadly conduct (discharge of a firearm), when 42.12 Section 3 prohibits the granting of community supervision for offenses that have an affirmative finding of a deadly weapon? Would an analysis change if the deadly weapon alleged in the indictment is a firearm, which is a de facto deadly weapon?

I know it seems rather academic, but it has come up on several occasions now. Furthermore, interpretations of Ex Parte Huskins, 176 S.W.3d 818 (Tex. Crim. App. 2005)(en banc) and to a lesser extent Crumpton v. State, 301 S.W.3d 663 (2009), lead me to believe that such a finding is necessary. However, I have seen some contrary authority. Any one else encountered this issue?

Posts: 12 | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Hooks v. State, 860 S.W.2d 110 (CCA 1993). The judge has the discretion to choose not to make an affirmative finding even if the evidence supports it. But if the judge just finds the defendant guilty of an offense that alleges a deadly weapon without saying anything one way or the other, that's considered an implied finding and the judge has not discretion not to enter it in the judgment. Ex parte Poe, 751 S.W.2d 873, 876 (CCA 1988).

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So in accordance with Hooks your saying a judge could refuse to make an affirmative finding of a deadly weapon, including a firearm, in an aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and place the defendant on regular community supervision?

posted Hide Post
Yes. See also Fanniel v. State, 73 S.W.3d 557 (Tex. App. — Houston [1st Dist.] 2002, no pet.) (failure to make deadly weapon finding not subject to nunc pro tunc order).

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, your facts are distinguishable from the situation recently decided on mandamus by an intermediate court that,where the parties have agreed to a d/w finding, a trial court accepting a plea bargain is required to follow ALL the terms of the plea bargain--including the d/w finding. See In re; The State of Texas, No. 08-12-00165-CR (Tex.App.--El Paso 2/20/13)(orig. proceeding)

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently wrote a brief on a similar situation. The situations seem to be:
1. Plea bargain explicitly including a DW finding -- DW finding. Trial court is required to follow the plea bargain. (Or reject it completely, of course.)
2. Plea bargain or trial with no explicit finding but D is convicted under an indictment with a DW alleged -- implied DW finding.
3. Plea bargain or trial with no explicit finding, indictment doesn't include DW allegation -- no DW finding.
4. Plea bargain or trial with no explicit finding, but trial court grants probation or something that can only happen without a DW finding -- implied finding of no DW.
5. Plea bargain or trial with explicit "there will be no DW finding" -- no DW finding.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks you all for all the help and insight. Andrea if you still have the brief, Id like to see it if you don't mind so that I can present something to my judge without having to reinvent the wheel. If you still have it, do you mind emailing me a copy to bobby.lopez@da.co.hidalgo.tx.us?

posted Hide Post
This issue is also covered in The Perfect Plea.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post