TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    That's a Forfeiture!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That's a Forfeiture! Login/Join 
posted
BROWNSVILLE

Lottery winner's number is up

A $12 million lottery winner who bought his lucky ticket with drug proceeds got two strikes Tuesday: a 24-year federal prison sentence and an order to return the money.

A federal judge sentenced Jose Luis Betancourt, 52, who was convicted by a jury in June of conspiracy and two counts of possession with intent to distribute cocaine. The jury in a second verdict said Betancourt should forfeit his lottery jackpot because the ticket was purchased with drug proceeds.

Betancourt had been trafficking cocaine more than two years before his arrest and was dealing cocaine days after the winnings were deposited into his bank account, according to testimony at his trial. Betancourt won the money Dec. 11.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After winning $12 million dollars he went on selling cocaine. I wonder why he didn't retire. I suppose some people are just work-aholics--their work defines who they are. I guess this fellow just enjoyed being a cocaine salesman.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I love this game so much, I would do it for free"

Posts: 160 | Location: Foat Wuth | Registered: June 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Betancourt was convicted of conspiracy to distribute over 100 kilos of cocaine. Shortly after he was announced as the lottery winner, a search of his house by federal agents discovered approximately 1 kilo in his dishwasher.

A side note is that Betancourt had an elderly neighbor with whom he regularly purchased lottery tickets. Their previous winnings had been split 50/50.

However, this time Betancourt neglected to inform the old man that they had won millions.
Betancourt called the lottery commission and the money was transferred to his account (around 4 million after taxes and reduction for cash payment).

Then Betancourt comes out in the newspaper as the drug smuggling lottery winner, the old man hears about it. He Files suit in both state and federal court seeking his half of the winnings. A hearing in federal court was held last week on the old man's claim and a decision is forthcoming.

Posts: 8 | Location: Edinburg, Texas USA | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where else but the TDCAA user group can you get this kind of timely information?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So did the old neighbor get his split?

Posts: 95 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: September 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post