TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Your Quickest Verdict
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Quickest Verdict Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I was all hopped up to brag about a guilty verdict in twenty minutes and a death sentence in thirty until I came across Mike's thirteen minute post. After he pulled it together, the chastened defense lawyer (a local lion)
meekly asked the foreman if he could have done anything different in the case. The foreman squinted and slowly shook his head and said,"No, sir, three is too many"

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once had a guy who had been a serial rapist in Lubbock in the 80's. Got tried for 2 cases, convicted, got out after about 8 years, and came to Brazos County (slight affinity for college towns?) and started raping college girls there too.
At G/I, the guy testified and, after admitting his prior rape convictions, claimed he was no longer a rapist, now he was merely a compulsive masterbator, which is all he did with our victim in our case.....
The 11 man 1 woman jury took 5 minutes to convict. I understood they would have been faster but with that many men, too many wanted to be foreman....
This was pre- 37.07 so no extraneous facts. After the jury heard from a bunch of young women, all in the same age bracket, all former residents of Lubbock, who all opined on his bad reputation, they got the idea and came back w/ life and 10K in 4 minutes.
A couple of the jurors were so moved that they had me deliver letters of support they'd written to the victims!

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a mental commitment jury trial, the proposed patient punched his lawyer three times during my closing argument. This was after the bailiff had taken a pen away from him out of safety concerns while he was furiously scribbling an incoherent manifesto that consisted of equal parts religious ramblings and profanity that even took me aback. Result: 4 minutes 35 seconds to answer "yes" to all issues. Like other posts in this thread, it took them that long to fight it out over who got to sign the verdict.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quickest- 8 minutes, DWI, no test, defense video
(guilty, Travis County)
Longest- 3.5 hrs, AFV, recanting victim but assault was audio recorded on police video (not guilty, Williamson County)

Posts: 95 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: September 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a death verdict that some fellow prosecutors received in 8 minutes. The really hard part for them was getting a guilty which they did in only an hour. The jury then heard about 3 more bodies for which the defendant was responsible - so I am not sure what took them so long. Smile I thought the "interesting" (read CRAZY) part of the Peterson media/legal commentary regarding the "quick" verdict was a comment that someone made about the possibilty of an appeal based on how quick the verdict was rendered. It was nice to find out that there are at least 12 normal/sane people in California (the jury)- and I have relatives there! Wink

Posts: 5 | Location: Fort Worth | Registered: October 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post