TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    legible handwriting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

legible handwriting Login/Join 
posted
I have a Houston defense attorney claiming that my 9/6/15 blood warrant is invalid because the judge didn't print her name beneath her signature pursuant to the newly added (5) of 18.04. Anyone fought this fight yet?

It's worth noting that these warrants are signed almost exclusively by 1 of our 2 district court judges. During conversations with this defense attorney, another local defense attorney pointed at the signature and identified it immediately.

Posts: 43 | Location: Brenham | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if there is any case law on point but the statute say it shall be sufficient if:

It doesn't say that it is per se insufficient if it doesn't meet that requirement.

Posts: 169 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See 886 SW2d 859
18.04 requires date and signature
Date was inaccurate
Upheld because it was "inadvertence"

See also 745 SW2d 483, and 503 SW2d 254

Posts: 169 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, she is not entitled to it. Agreed with the above answers.

Posts: 1 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We recently added all the judges names to the bottom of our warrant signature pages with boxes beside each that can be checked by the appropriate judge when signing.....
Since most of our DWI warrants are forwarded electronically, this seemed to be the easiest and most efficient route.

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post