TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Testing for HIV/AIDS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Testing for HIV/AIDS Login/Join 
posted
Defendant has been charged with burglary of a motor vehicle, although offense is really an agg robb. He bit the victim during the offense and told the victim he was HIV positive (later told the police he wasn't).

How can we test him to find out?

Can't use 81.050 HSC, that's just for police, fireman, etc.

Can't use 21.31 CCP, b/c he's not charge with an offense under 21.02, 21.11, 22.011, or 22.021.

I contacted Rolater and I think he has a good idea that I'd like everyone's opinion on.

He suggested getting a blood draw warrant in order to obtain evidence of agg assault with a deadly weapon, i.e., HIV (our probable cause being that the defendant told the victim he was positive).

Any thoughts?

Posts: 23 | Location: Dallas, Texas, U.S. | Registered: November 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first thought is certainly to get a search warrant for a blood draw. If the suspect tells his victim that he is HIV+, then you have probable cause to investigate further.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LisaS, I sure am hoping you are still on here. Will you please email the search warrant affidavit you used in this case? Thanks!

Posts: 176 | Location: Hempstead, TX, USA | Registered: June 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post