TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Enforcement of City Ordinances
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enforcement of City Ordinances Login/Join 
posted
We have a town in our county that does not have any city police officers. The city council has asked the Sheriff and/or the Deputy Sheriff to enforce the city ordinances. Does the Sheriff and/or the Deputy Sheriff have the authority to enforce the city ordinances? If not, who has the authority to enforce the ordinances?

Posts: 39 | Location: Haskell, Texas USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that the deputies and sheriff could enforce ordinances that had to do with traffic, peace, and other things that could be Class C misdemeanors. Ordinances dealing with number of pets, building standards and the like, probably not. Since cities have more power to "create" than counties, I think I would ask for an intergov agreement between the city and county requesting / allowing the service.

Next question - where do the violators go? Is there a city court or to your JP?

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ordinance cases must go to the Muni court, no muni court; no enforcable ordinances. Arrest and citations can be by any peace officer. I would still reccomend an interlocal agreement. The Sheriff is under no obligation to serve the municipality enforcing ordinances. Perhaps the Sheriff will suggest if the city wants a lot of local ordinance support a police department would be nice.

Posts: 293 | Location: Austin, TX, US | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't thank the Sheriff or deputies can enforce city ordinances. walk across the hall an I will tell you about ordinances when I was a Sheriff.

Posts: 18 | Location: Haskell, Texas, USA | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post