TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    New trial on punishment, victim deceased
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New trial on punishment, victim deceased Login/Join 
posted
Tried a particularly litigious inmate (ask the 12th COA) for theft from elderly and sentenced to 62yrs under 3 strikes law. COA overturned punishment and remanded for new punishment hearing. Victim is now deceased. I have the transcript from the guilt/innocence portion of original trial. My understanding is that I introduce the record and then have an investigator take the stand and I question him and he answers like the victim. Is that correct? Also, do I have to present all of the victim's testimony or can I pick and choose what I present. Defendant represented himself in first trial and can be quite confusing and obnoxious. Also, could I do testimony from witnesses who are available that way or would I have to recall them.

Posts: 96 | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course, the witness might prefer otherwise, but generally why would you ever substitute someone else to read a transcript for an available witness? Despite any inconsistencies, the live witness will be more meaningful to a jury. Also look at Loun v. S., 273 sw3d 406 (6/2008)(about not calling out-of-state witness who had already testified.

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
plus, the prior testimony is only excepted from the hearsay rule if the witness is unavailable. So if the other witnesses are still around, I think you have to call them again, which, as John points out, is always better anyway

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're calling the live witnesses. Also going to show jury all exhibits admitted in guilt/innocence phase. Am I right on the deceased victim?

Posts: 96 | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, you're right on the deceased victim. She's unavailable, and the defendant previously had a chance to confront her. I don't see why you would have to read everything to the jury, including cross, but just be aware that the defendant will be able to read the rest of it if you don't.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post