TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    The reason I left prosecution....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The reason I left prosecution.... Login/Join 
posted
The law student who is interested in being a prosecutor raised this question: If you left prosecution or know someone that did, what were the reasons for jumping? I look around my office and, a dozen years later there are only 4-5 people who entered in my "class" (the 6-8 months either side of my hire date).

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I left for eleven months.

I had the opportunity to take some time off and did. I'm back after eleven months, and didn't know how much I missed being in prosecution. (I did not do any legal work while I was gone.)

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 2000,after about three years of prosecuting, I left the D.A.'s office and went to a local firm to make more money. I lasted 9 months doing civil work. During the short period that I did civil work I made more money. However,I felt like I was no longer practicing law, but rather running a business.

I am happy that I did leave and do the short civil stint. It has given me the peace of mind that I would not have had otherwise.

I am a prosecutor, and I love my job.

It is well worth the pay cut.

Posts: 70 | Location: Hunt County | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I left in 2001 after a little over 4 years. I have enjoyed the highs and lows of defense practice. The Highs are that I am my own boss (and I'm sure my old boss would say I didn't listen to him anyway). I don't 8-5 it, there is no time card to fill out (like one of my old employers) and I make my own schedule (most days you'll find me hard at work in my kitchen, renovating it). In fact, this morning, I spent a good 30 minutes with my son at pre-school cutting out fish he colored. The lows, money, always. Currently, most of my clients are appointed, so the pay trickles in (so I suffer right along with the ADA pay). Otherwise it was a good move at the right time for me.

I miss prosecuting, and the comraderie. That gets in your blood for good. I wish the defense bar was a tight knit as the prosecutors.

Posts: 319 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: January 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I left for three full years to have 2 babies and represent court-appointed juvenile clients. I came back for the health insurance and steady check (however small!) as my husband started his own real estate practice. You cannot get this cameraderie anywhere else. Where else do people have so much to commiserate over? And by that I mean the subject matter of our felony cases and the crazy jury verdicts - not the pay, of course!

Posts: 11 | Location: texas | Registered: January 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I came to prosecution from a variety of jobs. I did practice with my father for about seven months while I waited for an opening here. Those were good times and the unspoken plan was to get some experience and return in a few years.

I watched as the other guys and gals I knew that were on the same program left the office after 2,3 or 5 years. Every time I considered sitting next to a criminal defendant, my heart sank. I knew someday soon, I would sit next to one and not be able to advocate for him as I should. For me, there is no other way to zealously practice law than to do it from this side of the docket.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I left because Uncle Sam called. The county was obligated to hold my job (and did), but when it looked like I'd be gone for a while, I didn't want Joe Black in Harrison to keep having to run a relatively small office short-handed. He did right by me and I tried to reciprocate.

Now I practice on the defense side as I did before I became a prosecutor. I got used to being in charge of a law office as a Staff Judge Advocate, and decided to give it a try. If you find yourself in the right county you will still find camaraderie.

Beck Gibson is right about building the practice, however. It takes a while. If you work hard, it can be done.

As far as who I represent. I took an oath 23 years ago to "protect and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic." That's what I still do every day, whether in uniform or in a business suit.

Posts: 31 | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post