TDCAA Community
Christmas Wish List

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/4553039167

December 16, 2003, 09:29
JB
Christmas Wish List
As Christmas approaches, perhaps some of you have something in the way of a criminal justice present that you are hoping Santa to bring. This would be a good place to let Santa know what you want.

I personally wish that every prosecutor could have an Apple laptop computer with a free wire-less connection at any local courthouse, giving them access to all criminal histories and pen packets at the touch of a key. Nothing says Merry Christmas like a habitual enhancement.

What would you like?
December 16, 2003, 10:33
Daryl Eremin
A favorable ruling from the CCA on Stewart.
December 16, 2003, 14:01
Lee Westmoreland
A jury who gives a d@mn.
December 16, 2003, 15:49
Tanya Davis
Another ACA and an investigator, but alas, Commissioners Court is certainly NOT made up of Santas!
December 16, 2003, 16:58
APorter
In the words of Sandra Bullock's character in Miss Congeniality:

"Harsher sentences for parole violators ... [pause] . . . and world peace."
December 16, 2003, 17:26
Tuck
A County Court At Law. Laymen should not even attempt to decipher and apply the law particularly with issues like "reverse extrapolation" lingering out there. Death to Constitutional County Courts!!!!!
December 16, 2003, 21:49
Quiet Man
A couple of district judges worthy of the term "your honor."
December 17, 2003, 06:35
ML
Jolly old court bailiffs in all Texas courthouses with bags full of jury notes for the hard-workin' Texas prosecutors... Guess what those notes say. Yep, you guessed it! They all say, "Your honor, what is the difference between Life in prison and 99 years in prison?" Priceless! Merry Christmas to all and to all a good jury verdict!
December 17, 2003, 15:57
Terry Breen
My wish is that all the crooks I send to the joint or put on probation are rehabilitated, and after doing their time, not only cease to be criminals, but become upstanding members of their communities. For the male crooks my wish is that each is someday elected president of his local Lions or Rotary Club. And for the ladies, my wish is that each is elected president of her local Junior League.

And, while I'm at it, I also wish for World Peace.

And, oh yeah, Santa, about $4 million in cash forfeitures sure would be nice too.
December 19, 2003, 10:38
mhartman
Mandatory blood or breath test for all dwi offenses and...
December 19, 2003, 15:06
Martha W. Warner
...that all of the children who have been sexually and physically abused can truly forget what they have been through.
December 19, 2003, 16:40
Georgette Stovall
Publicity of what some of our judges really do on the bench, and a voting public that cares enough to vote them out, plus worthy candidates to oppose them...
December 19, 2003, 17:36
Terry Breen
Well, now, Georgette, let's not get pie-in-the sky. There's a limit to what even Santy Claus can do.
December 21, 2003, 21:31
Greg
Howdy Mike! In Fort Bend, I call it "The Note".
In the appropriate kind of case, when we hear there is a note, I always ask "Is it the note?" And of course, The Note says..."WHICH IS MORE, life in prison or 99 years?"

A small semantical difference that matters not in the end!
December 22, 2003, 12:22
Martin Peterson
I hate to get technical in this line of posts, but after Franks whether the sentence is 60+ years or "life" may indeed make a difference in the "end". I don't think that changes how "the note" is answered (or greeted) though. Santa, if you are listening, please grant just one of the above wishes and you will likely make a lot of good little boys and girls very happy.
December 22, 2003, 16:06
APorter
Actual jury note from State v. Henderson, F03-34709-UW (District Court # 363, Dallas County):

"What is the true definition of a 'life' sentence?" ---[signed by presiding juror]

... [next question, same paper] ...

"Which is more punitive -- Life or 99 yrs?"
---[signed by presiding juror]