TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Front License Plates
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front License Plates Login/Join 
posted
Is operating without a front license plate a violation? (If it is I got good PC.)

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a transportation code violation. However, there is an exception and that is if the car had paper plates because it was a recently purchased car. If your car had one ordinary back plate and no front, you got yourself a violation!

I have no idea what the section number is but it's out there.

Posts: 293 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Transportation Code � 502.404

a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have been:

(1) assigned by the department for the period; or

(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.

Original stop of motor vehicle in which defendant was passenger was not unlawful, since officers observed motorist driving vehicle without front license plate and while his license was suspended. Ford v. State (App. 13 Dist. 2000) 26 S.W.3d 669.

Defendant's display of front license plate between dashboard and windshield of vehicle did not violate section of transportation code requiring that motor vehicle "display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle"; officers testified they could see license plate in windshield. State v. Losoya (App. 3 Dist. 2004) 128 S.W.3d 413, petition for discretionary review refused

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe it is Section 502.404 of the Transportation Code.

Posts: 70 | Location: Hunt County | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was quick, thanks. BTW, forfeiture and drugs involved.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gordon,

I was talking with an attorney, back in August, who said that law was changing 9-1-5, he said something about only one plate. I really didn't listen to what he was saying, so I can't be sure. You may want to double check.

Posts: 319 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: January 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard that also. It appears to have only been a rumor. It has not been changed.

Posts: 70 | Location: Hunt County | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember that the laws of some states only require a back plate. As long as the vehicle in question had a rear Texas plate and no front plate, you should be fine. I assume the plate was from Texas, but since you didn't expressly say, figured it would not hurt to post.

Posts: 325 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The major problem is I got the forfeiture paperwork first. Did not have a report, so I don't know if the vehicle is registered in texas. Of course if it is then I should be okay. Unless the rumor Beck (and my son heard) is true. I am waiting for the report before I do anything.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The Lege did not remove or amend the "two plates" law.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post