TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    GPS Tracker- Warrant
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GPS Tracker- Warrant Login/Join 
posted
We have spoke about the SC ruling on gps tracking being a search but did not technically answer the question of whether a warrant was needed. Has anyone done a warrant for a tracking device and can I get a copy? Thanks

Posts: 11 | Location: Sugar Land, Tx, USA | Registered: August 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jannette for the quick response!!

Posts: 11 | Location: Sugar Land, Tx, USA | Registered: August 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jannette/Sgt would you share with me too !

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure the SC said a warrant was necessary in all cases. As best I understand, General Counsel at DPS is willing to fight for the current Art. 18.21, Sec. 14 scheme. I know I am. A suggestion has been made by some to change "reasonable suspicion" language to "probable cause" where possible, in the affidavit. The Jones ruling is a plurality opinion, and is, at best, confusing. I just don't think a "bright line" was written. I have modified the one we use to specifically allow for a trespass onto private property to install the tracker, and a specific allowance for removal of the device for maintenance, or to preserve the integrity of the device or investigation, and to reattach it at a later date. I don't know if either of those are necessary, but I think they help to clarify some issues.

Posts: 218 | Location: The Border | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm about to teach a class for law enforcement and was looking for examples of what is being done in different jurisdictions. Would like to have a copy of what you are using.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stacey check your email. Smile

Posts: 218 | Location: The Border | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you !