TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Help with "Old School" shorthand
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with "Old School" shorthand Login/Join 
posted
One of the Rangers assigned to the FLDS Ranch investigation is trying to decipher some recovered writings. The writings appear to be a shorthand type that was in popular use prior to the 80's. Does anyone have an administrative assistant or court reporter that still uses shorthand? Please contact me directly via e-mail for a sample copy of the shorthand.

Posts: 61 | Location: Palestine, Texas USA | Registered: April 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don't get any response, try contacting a Business School...they may have some of their old shorthand books around. Just a thoughtSmile

Posts: 62 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a court reporter that temps in our court from time to time that still does shorthand. When I get to work tomorrow I'll email with her name and number.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Court Reporter Certification Board may be able to help you. There was also a court reporter named Frank Howell who used to work in Dallas County who I believe can read pen shorthand. The CRCB should be able to give you contact info in response to a open records request. He may actually be an attorney right now. The problem is that pen shorthand can be very unique to the author, like handwriting, and thus difficult for another to translate.

The Lizard Man is innocent!

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Rudy,
Long time no see.
Lucille Collins, the court reporter in Judge Miller's court in Bowie County (the 102nd) still does shorthand. I'm always amazed she can keep up when I get on a roll during argument, but she does. Of course, every time I see her, she greets me with a "I bet you still talk too fast" Smile

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe Judge McSpadden's reporter in Harris County does shorthand, if she has not retired.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think my doctor does shorthand, very hard to decipher his scribbles. On a similar note though, his hand may be short, but when that certain time of year comes, his fingers are live oak limbs. Like I said, exit, please exit...only.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that sounds like cruel and unusual punishment.

The Lizard Man is innocent!

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ewwwwwwwww...and it didn't sound like an "exit only" to me. Eek

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a prosecutor who wrote shorthand and put notes in files in that form. Note to self: advise lawyers to put notes in legible print. When we need something from those files, we have to ask her what she said.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice and info. I will pass it on to the case agent.

Posts: 61 | Location: Palestine, Texas USA | Registered: April 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post