TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Character evidence of a witness
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Character evidence of a witness Login/Join 
posted
Can the defense offer character evidence on a witness for any purpose other than truthfulness? R. 608 seems to say no. There is a lot of caselaw about a DEFENDANT's character for truthfulness or being law abiding.

Basically, can they attack my witnesses (other than convictions) for truancy and various school disturbances or minor law violations?

Sorry, I've been trying to research this today and my brain is fried.

Posts: 55 | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One more question, can an opinion (not reputation) witness testify on the basis of one incident with the actor? i.e. An officer has been specifically lied to by a potential defense witness in the past. Can his opinion be based on that and what is the predicate?

Posts: 55 | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As to your basis-for-an-opinion question, Judge Cochran says: "Such problems are solved by a proper administration of Rules 403, 405, and 701." Cochran, Texas Rules of Evidence Handbook at 596 (5th ed. 2003). She cites United States v. Dotson, 799 F.2d 189, 190-93 (5th Cir. 1986).

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post