TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Who signs for discovery?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who signs for discovery? Login/Join 
posted
In our new discovery system we're requiring the attorney (not their office runner) on the case to sign off on the receipt that describes the discovery. We're doing that for our protection as well as theirs. When the prosecutor tells the court that discovery was provided, I don't want the defense attorney to have any excuses. It also seems to me that the defense would appreciate the protection that gives them under the new statute.

Then we have a separate document detailing all discovery, for both the prosecutor and defense counsel to sign and file with the court before case disposition.

As expected, we're getting push back from attorneys who don't want to walk across the street to pick up their own discovery. And it's a narrow, low-traffic street too!

How is everyone else handling the receipt of discovery before you get to court?

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never mind! I found my answer by actually reviewing some materials previously provided to me by . . . TDCAA. Funny how that works!

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post