TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Defense(appointed) Motion to Hire Expert
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Defense(appointed) Motion to Hire Expert Login/Join 
posted
What if a "new" young solo attorney, without a mentor, now wants Court to allow him to hire expert for everything (case after case). Possible he Will try to use "Expert" to avoid "due diligence" and avoid having to get out of office and investigating.

I was accidently sent a copy of one such "Motion" and the Court told me I was not supposed to be copied on these motions. I had no right to know for such request.

I'm afraid he'll break the County with this and further continue to use to delay, "nit pick" etc.

Would appreciate some recommendations, suggestions, comments on how to fight this problem. please send to bhelwig@yoakumcounty.org. Thanks!

Posts: 22 | Location: Plains, Texas, USA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you will likely just have to rely on the judge's familiarity with, and application of, Jimenez, 364 S.W.3d at 876-82. More than likely the necessary affidavits are not being filed or they do not offer concrete reasons as opposed to undeveloped assertions. That, of course, does not mean the attorney will tire of making the requests.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The court should also be taking into account whatever information is or is not provided "with regard to the nature of the expert’s field or the complexity of the issue." Ehrke, 459 S.W.3d at 616 n.19.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post