TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Proving up a license suspension in DWLI trial
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proving up a license suspension in DWLI trial Login/Join 
posted
I am trying a DWLI coming up shortly, and I have the certified Judgment of prior DWLI conviction. I also need to prove up the license suspension at time of the offense. Anyone ever tried one of these? Do I need a certified driving record from DPS?

Posts: 71 | Location: Galveston, Texas, US | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, you need to request the certified DL packet through DPS. Also, if you have a DPS Trooper in your area who is a custodian of records for DL information, you can elicit that testimony through that trooper on the stand. I don't like to call ours, but there have been times where a trial has snuck up on us and we haven't been able to get the packet from DPS in time.

Posts: 81 | Registered: December 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DPS has deputy custodians of records in each region. Issue a subpoena duces tecum to Joyce Stevens the Custodian of Driver Records at TXDPS in Austin, at the 5805 N Lamar Address for a Certified Abstract for Law Enforcement Driving REcord, including fingerprints and the original application. Also send a subpoena directing her or her deputy to appear for trial. DPS will send the records and a local custodian from the DL office to testify if required.

Posts: 51 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: April 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome y'all, thanks.

Posts: 71 | Location: Galveston, Texas, US | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joyce Stevens is no longer with the Department. Law enforcement and prosecutors may obtain the certfied DL packet by serving the Department with a subpoena duces tecum by mail or fax as follows:

Joeanne Mastracchio
Custodian of Records
Driver Records
Texas Department of Public Safety
5805 North Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX 78752

or by fax to:

Joeanne Mastracchio
Custodian of Records
Driver Records
Texas Department of Public Safety
Fax number: 512-424-5190

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was actually told to submit a DR-1 form to DPS requesting a DWLI packet. Apparently these come with a letter of certification, which supposedly makes them admissible. This is after a long talk with a helpful records clerk at DPS.