TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Translations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Translations Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have any advice on using written translated (Spanish to English) jail calls? I have a certification attached to the written translations by the interpreters and am wondering if I need to file that with the clerk prior to trial or comply with any other requirements? Is anyone aware of the law/rules governing this? Of course the interpreters would prefer not to testify at trial, but I am not sure if the certification is self authenticating. I have not had it come up before. Thanks.

Posts: 4 | Location: Lubbock, TX, USA | Registered: November 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't had it come up in Texas court, but did have it come up in Federal court. I had translator testify, it was short and sweet, not hotly contested. TRE 1009 says you should give notice 45 days before trial. (That 45 days can be changed (lengthened or shortened) by the court. The way I read it, you wouldn't need the translator to testify if there are no material objections to his/her work.

Posts: 176 | Location: Hempstead, TX, USA | Registered: June 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, the Rules of Evidence focus on "documents." Would be nice if the standing Rules committee would amend it to include recordings.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
because document does not appear to be defined, but if you look at rule 1001, "writings" and "recordings" are broadly defined.

[This message was edited by e hernandez on 11-12-08 at .]

Posts: 176 | Location: Hempstead, TX, USA | Registered: June 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post