TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Grand jury perjury
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grand jury perjury Login/Join 
posted
A witness lied during his grand jury testimony. Since the grand jury does not appear to qualify as an "official proceeding" as it is defined under PC Sec. 1.07(33), it appears that I can only file perjury and not aggravated perjury. Am I reading this right? Please tell me that I am wrong.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about Brasher v. S., 715 sw2d 827 (14/1986, no pet)?

Have a look at Martinez v. S., 91 sw3d 331 (CCA 2002). The warning given to a defendant at grand jury proceedings advises that agg perjury is possible. CCP 20.17(2). While other witnesses do not have to be routinely warned, is the offense really different for defendants vis-a-vis witnesses just because of the warning? Also, an analogy that may help. See Jones v. S., 843 sw2d 487 (CCA 1992).

[This message was edited by John A. Stride on 02-16-12 at .]

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A quick check through Lexis shows a fair number of aggravated perjury cases arising from lies told to a grand jury.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reading another definition helped me answer my own question. A grand juror qualifies as a public servant under PC 1.07(41) and thus the grand jury session qualifies as an official proceeding.

[This message was edited by Ken Sparks on 02-16-12 at .]

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to know. Thanks for the update.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post