TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Criminal or Civil?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Criminal or Civil? Login/Join 
posted
'Jackass' star sued over radio stunt
The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- An actor is suing "Jackass" star Johnny Knoxville, TV talk show host Jimmy Kimmel and radio personality Adam Carolla, claiming he was never paid $10 million for doing a below-the-belt stunt that left him severely injured.

Perry Caravello claims Kimmel never paid him for his work in the 2003 TV movie "Windy City Heat." According to the suit, Knoxville also promised to pay him to promote the DVD release of the film on Carolla's show last fall if he agreed to place his genitals in a mousetrap.

"Plaintiff agreed to do so, and, much to his emotional tranquility and to his physical harm, was severely injured when the trap literally went on his manhood," the suit contended.

Caravello also was humiliated when clips of the incident, which he says were filmed without his permission, made it to the Internet, his suit claims.

The suit, filed Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court against Knoxville and others, alleges fraud, negligence and unjust enrichment.

The suit claims that Caravello signed a contract with Dakota North Entertainment Inc., a company that Kimmel heads. But Kimmel, Knoxville and others never paid Caravello or gave him an accounting of profits and royalties from DVD sales of "Windy City Heat," the suit claims.

It seeks a total of $10.5 million in damages.

Calls to representatives for Knoxville, Kimmel and Carolla were not returned Saturday.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Theft of Service?

Posts: 65 | Location: Athens, TX - Henderson County | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a b---y idiot! Someone that stupid should collect nothing. The law should not assist. Too bad the trap probably doesn't fit around his neck (although it might adequately catch his tiny little mind). It reminds me of those men reported a few months ago who allowed their castration by an unqualified operator. I recall the operator did face some criminal liability, but it is hard to sympathize when there are real victims out there.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't be any criminal liability for the injury, as the victim "consented" to the "exact force used." See sec. 9.31, PC.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is dissappointing to think his civil case might be indulged. Maybe he forgot what his mama told him about not jumping in fires or over cliffs just because someone dares you to do so.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JB:
Shouldn't be any criminal liability for the injury, as the victim "consented" to the "exact force used." See sec. 9.31, PC.

9.31 only says you can't use force in self-defense if you consented to the assault. You're referring to 22.06, which provides a defense to assault or aggravated assault if the conduct did not threaten or inflict serious bodily injury. If this injury was serious, then maybe he's got a case. After all, we have to stop these Hollywood money-grubbers from taking advantage of the mentally handicapped in this way.

Oooo, and a moustrap is a device "designed to cause serious bodily injury or death," right? The DW definition doesn't specify death to humans.... Deadly weapon finding, anyone?

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of that old joke whose punch line is we all know what we are we're just haggling over the price.

Barring anything illegal or immoral, if someone came into your office with a briefcase containing 10 mil in CASH, would you not at least consider putting your (name any body appendage here) in a mousetrap.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guys might want to bank some sperm before signing on the dotted line.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stacey L. Brownlee:
Barring anything illegal or immoral, if someone came into your office with a briefcase containing 10 mil in CASH, would you not at least consider putting your (name any body appendage here) in a mousetrap.

If it weren't illegal and/or immoral, why would you have to offer someone $10 mil? Somebody offers me that kind of money, I'm pretty sure it's both illegal and immoral.

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or just very painful.

posted Hide Post
Doing stupid (however I will concede some borderline illegal and/or immoral)things is what made Johnny Knoxville and his "friends" rich and in-famous. You never know when one of them might get passed the tight security of the WCB and walk into your office and ask you to join the circus with them !

Question still remains, would you join ??

I'll have to admit if 20 years ago I knew I could become a millionaire by pushing my friends into the bushes in a supermarket cart or kicking myself in the head, I probably would not be a lawyer, but that's just me Wink

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could combine the fact that you are a lawyer with this line of work. You might make even more money and be more famous for pushing shopping carts full of lawyers downhill into bushes or catching the delicate portions of said lawyers in a mousetrap. I might even find you some volunteers who would do it for $10 mil if I can have a 10% finders fee.

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya know Jim I've been thinking about a retirement gig. If I can sell it to MTV, you'll be my pick as casting director.

Anyone want to venture out a name for this new game show...GG, AP, Brumley, where are you ?

Of course nothing but a Huntsville rendition of Dueling Banjos would suffice for the fade to black !

posted Hide Post
i think the real question in this lawsuit is how you word the subpoena.

[This message was edited by David Newell on 06-04-07 at .]

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And whether a subpoena duces tecum will be issued.

As for a title to the putative gameshow, "Who Wants to be a Eunuch?" comes to mind. Or "Pop Goes the Weasel". "Jeopardy" is already taken.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Weakest Link" is also taken. And there's got to be a way to incorporate the trademark chant from "Press Your Luck" . . . "No Whammies, No Whammies, No Whammies!"

[This message was edited by David Newell on 06-05-07 at .]

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Notice that Stacey is the only female to post on this story. I am happy some things never change.

Posts: 62 | Location: Richmond, Texas, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stacey L. Brownlee:
Anyone want to venture out a name for this new game show...GG, AP, Brumley, where are you ?

Of course nothing but a Huntsville rendition of Dueling Banjos would suffice for the fade to black !

Well, I'm here, cautiously refraining from too much comment. I'm a frequent forum poster, you know. And my secret forum identity has been compromised.

And yes Fred, she is the same Stacey. I recall a similar analogy oh so many years ago, that time posed to Jimmy Mac as to what he would've done to Howard Smith for 5 million.

So she's toned down "a bit". It's that calming deep East Texas influence. Smile

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post