TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    using juvenile conviction to enhance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

using juvenile conviction to enhance Login/Join 
posted
Can anyone tell me why a person is still eligible for probation when they have a juvenile conviction (TYC)....? I'd like to know where it is in the code.

Posts: 26 | Location: Lufkin, TX | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are still eligible because they have not been convicted. Rather, they were adjudicated. The Penal Code, CCP, and Rules of Evidence specifically state where you can use a juvenile adjudication for some other purpose. If a provision does not specifically say you can use a juvenile adjudication, it basically means you cannot.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Juveniles don't get convicted. They don't plead guilty. The plead true and are adjudicated. Semantics that make a difference. So, absent some special statute defining the juvenile adjudication as a conviction, it doesn't count. For a special statute, see Chapter 12, PC. No such statute in 42.12, CCP.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That's what I needed to hear - I was going crazy looking for it in Ch. 42.

Posts: 26 | Location: Lufkin, TX | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure your kid's TYC trip was not for a state jail felony grade offense. There is some case law out there that makes such adjudication/dispositions to TYC ineligible for enhancement purposes.

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there is some stuff in the family code that lays this out more specifically. I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
� 12.42. PENALTIES FOR REPEAT AND HABITUAL FELONY OFFENDERS.

(f) For the purposes of Subsections (a), (b), (c)(1), and
(e), an adjudication by a juvenile court under Section 54.03, Family Code, that a child engaged in delinquent conduct on or after January 1, 1996, constituting a felony offense for which the child is committed to the Texas Youth Commission under Section 54.04(d)(2), (d)(3), or (m), Family Code, or Section 54.05(f), Family Code, is a final felony conviction.

Posts: 48 | Location: Hill County | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post