TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Out of state blood labs!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Out of state blood labs!! Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone else been getting blood labs from out of state from DPS? We have gotten a number of blood labs that were sent to Austin for analysis for drugs that have been sent to some labs in Pennsylvania! We aren't even getting Certificates of Analysis with them and even if we did - I can't imagine a defense attorney not objecting. What have they got to lose?

So, anyone know what is going on and why?

Posts: 128 | Location: TX | Registered: March 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might call the crime lab director at DPS, Pat Johnson.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last time I spoke to the Austin lab, they advised that they were sending samples to NMS Labs to elleviate their back log, and hoped to be "caught up" soon.

Some concern here now due to the recent Melendez-Diaz SCOTUS ruling: Looks like the person who actually tested the blood will have to testify to satisfy the confrontation issue from Crawford...

I've spoken with several folks in the Toxicology Department over the past few weeks regarding September 1, 2009 changes to the mandatory blood draw laws - NONE were aware that their blood samples are about to double. It's going to get interesting...

Posts: 115 | Location: Denton, TX, USA | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've been getting some drug labs back from them, but only for quantitative analysis, our blood results come straight from DPS.

Posts: 95 | Location: Marble Falls, TX USA | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Brent said...."Its going to get interesting" I believe that is an understatement! It's going to get down right scary for many jurisdictions....

Posts: 70 | Location: Ft. Worth, Texas | Registered: October 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps if "someone" were to open a new, certified, low cost, local, quick turnaround lab....

Posts: 115 | Location: Denton, TX, USA | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They broke ground at our Headquarters complex a couple of weeks ago for a new main crime lab building. The legislature also funded expansion at some of the regional crime labs. It should ultimately increase the capacity of the lab to deal with the heavy flow of blood and drug specimens coming in for analysis. Now you just need to encourage college students to get degrees in biology, biochemistry, or chemmistry and become analysts!

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post