TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Cowboys v. Redskins
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cowboys v. Redskins Login/Join 
<Bob Cole>
posted
In honor of the game this week

Tom Landry

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember that aired immediately after the Skins drubbed us. Salt in the wound back then.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still unquestionably the single best professional football coach ever. Belichick, Parcells, Shula, etc., all pale in comparison to Landry.

Posts: 293 | Registered: April 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sing along with me ...

Hail to the Redskins
Hail Vic-tor-y
Braves on the Warpath
Fight for old D.C.!

Run or pass and score -- we want a lot more!
Beat 'em, Swamp 'em,
Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!
Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won
Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Fight!, Fight!, Fight!

Hail to the Redskins
Hail Vic-tor-y
Braves on the Warpath
Fight for old D.C.!

Growing up in Dallas as a Redskins fan taught me to have a very, very thick skin. Wink

Posts: 2424 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But Dallas will be back in two weeks rockin' n rollin'! 13-3 ain't that bad! They are the only ones who can stop New England.

Posts: 293 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shannon:

When nobody is around, do you ever sing the old, non-PC version?

I]Hail to the Redskins
Hail Vic-tor-y
Braves on the Warpath
Fight for old Dixie

Scalp 'em, swamp 'em -- We will take 'em big score
Read 'em, weep 'em, touchdown - we want heap more
Fight on, Fight on -- 'Till you have won
Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!
Hail to the Redskins
Hail Vic-tor-y
Braves on the Warpath
Fight for old Dixie [/I]

Posts: 86 | Location: Floresville, TX USA | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has that clip been edited? I could have sworn he said 'pesky' Redskins. Speaking of which, looks like we've got too many pesky Redskins around here, too. Are y'all geographically challenged or did you just get lost somewhere along the line? That can happen to yankees around these parts. Cool

Posts: 137 | Location: Corsicana, TX | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAProsecutor:
But Dallas will be back in two weeks rockin' n rollin'! 13-3 ain't that bad! They are the only ones who can stop New England.

I know this will probably get me in trouble, (and I mean this with complete respect for the posting Cowboy fans) but . . .

Go Pats!

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I am almost uniformly inclined to agree with the esteemed Mr. Newell, I would respectfully posit that:

While they have skillfully managed the salary cap issue not present in baseball (though there is the "luxury tax"), and seem to have a more Borg-like implementation of mentality, in the end, the Patriots are the Yankees of football.

Which, in light of current circumstances, makes the Cowboys something like the Rockies: a pretty good run-up, but likely to run out of gas and effective weapons before the big show (and I say that ruefully as a life-long, and oft-suffering, Cowboys fan). After yesterday, in fact, they may not make it past the 'Skins two weeks from now (who I think will beat a fairly lackluster Seahawks team).

I just hope Virginia doesn't blow Tech out tomorrow. Happy New Year, all.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course, the Pats still have to get past either the Chargers or the Jaguars. Then there is, of course, the Colts, defending champs, who should have Marvin Harrison back (though not Dwight Freeney). Given the way the Pats seem to have been struggling of late, their work is certainly cut out for them.

As for the Cowboys, Glenn is supposed to come back, and judging by T.O.'s performance the last time he played injured during the Superbowl (for the moment ignore the fact that the Pats beat him there, too) he should put up a monster game. Romo's thumb should be better after he has a chance to rest (assuming Jessica Simpson leaves him alone). And I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing the football snapped directly into his face again.

So, if the Pats make it (which I hope they do because the '72 Dolphins seem like bigger jerks than the '07 Pats) a Pats-Cowboys should be a Superbowl for the ages.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by russell wilson:
Shannon:

When nobody is around, do you ever sing the old, non-PC version?

Russell, that was before my time. But I do note that the 'Skins "scored heap more" than the Pokes!

quote:
Originally posted by john westbrook:
Are y'all geographically challenged or did you just get lost somewhere along the line?

I can't speak for the other fans of the REAL America's Team (they do represent the nation's capital, after all!), but my father grew up in DC while his father (my grandpa) worked at the Pentagon for the latter half of his career (Col. (Ret.), USAF), so cheering for the Cowboys was a nonstarter in our household.

Oddly enough, growing up in Dallas probably made me more of a Redskins fan than if we'd lived in, say, Chicago -- rivalries have a way of focusing the bile, I suppose!

Posts: 2424 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Bob Cole>
posted
My dad's career was much like Shannaon's grandpa and I grew up in the D.C. area. I don't remember the non-P.C. version of the song at all. I remember Vince Lombardi, Sonny J. and Billy Kilmer. Kilmer threw the ugliest passes I've ever seen. I once got to be on the sidelines at RFK when I was 12. Somehow I was invited to help work the bench for the visiting Cincinnati Bengals for a game. I've never heard so much noise from a bunch of folks in my whole life!

Even though I grew up in D.C. I could not cheer against Roger Staubach or Coach Landry. Those guys had class.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an old Houston Oiler fan, I cannot physically bring myself to root for Dallas, despite living in the midst of "Cowboy Country."

I can, however, still sing a few verses of "Luv Ya Blue." And "Houston Oilers #1." Will that get me anywhere?

Posts: 70 | Location: Sinton, Texas, USA | Registered: January 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The '72 Dolphins ARE bigger jerks than the '07 Pats. Did anyone watch the Patriots play the (I think) Ravens, when they almost lost it? Don Shula was in the booth, and he was practically giggling like a schoolgirl at the prospect of the Pats losing. That's just sad, especially in light of the number of winning teams that the '72 Dolphins played, including the playoffs (5 out of 14) compared with the '07 Patriots (10 out of 19 if they run the table).

Posts: 8 | Registered: November 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everybody in the TEXAS (TDCAA) group should all be conformists and just agree that the 5-Time SuperBowl Champion Dallas Cowboys will rise to the challenge and be successful in these playoffs. Mr. Newell-- I don't believe you have any ties to the patriots beyond the whole '72 anti-dolphins reasons. You will be forgiven if you post your true loyalties to the Cowboys. That goes for everybody.

By the way, the Oilers are gone. You are living in the past. Jump on board the Dallas bandwagon (banjos included).

Posts: 293 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But there was a consolidation of talent in '72 because there weren't as many teams, or so the argument goes. (I love how defenders of the perfect team try to use this claim to get around the fact that the Patriots played more winning teams). I also loved some of the reactions by the '72 Fins after the Giants game. "Congratulations on an undefeated exhibition season." Like that's not going on the bulletin board next to Steelers guarantee.

P.S.-The Patriots are playing incredible football. 50 touchdown passes by the quarterback. 23 touchdown receptions by one receiver. Most points in a regular season. Plenty of positive reasons to be impressed. Each week is like watching an episode of America's Game as it's being written. Hell, it's almost like watching UT beat USC in the Rose Bowl spread over 16 games. I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to root for the Cowboys next year.

posted Hide Post
It is just wrong that they were allowed to add Randy Moss to their machine . . .

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fourth round pick? Hindsight's a bitch. (Just ask Strickland.) Don't forget, at the time many people wondered whether he'd be able to revive his career after Oakland. I guess the science is in on that.

But the D-Line is getting old, so the machine could be breaking down soon. (Perhaps even before they get a chance to face America's Team again.)

[This message was edited by David Newell on 01-02-08 at .]

posted Hide Post
The Oilers are gone?

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn you're funny! Smile