TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Don't Monkey Around
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't Monkey Around Login/Join 
posted
Police: Chimp stole dart gun, lunged at police officer before he was shot
New details released on the fatal shooting of 17-year-old chimpanzee
By Joshunda Sanders
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saturday, April 05, 2008

A chimpanzee that had escaped from a Bastrop research center in March snatched a tranquilizer gun from an animal attendant, leapt from a truck bed and threatened a police officer by flailing its arms before being shot several times, according to documents released Friday.

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If dart guns are outlawed, only outlaw chimps will have dart guns.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charlton Heston, may God rest his gun-loving soul, was not kidding when he said, "Get your hands off me, you dirty ape."

[This message was edited by JB on 04-06-08 at .]

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eddie Izzard has a hilarous routine about how guns don't kill people, but monkeys with guns do.

People kill people, but monkeys do, too! If they've got a gun.

Be warned before you jump, the language is harsh.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a more serious note, adult chimpanzees can very dangerous. I happened to hear a caller to a local talk radio show discussing the incident. He described being in a group who were at a similar facility in another country when one of the adult male chimpanzees escaped and attacked the group including members of the facility. The caller was injured, but his friend was killed by the animal.

janette a

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are absolutely right. They are very strong.

Chimpanzee attack

[This message was edited by David Newell on 04-07-08 at .]

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As my son would say, "Ouch, that gotta hurt!"

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Advertisement: "Cops have to be trained to deal with explosive situations. Here at the "Johnny Weismuller School of Animalogy", we have experienced instructors that help with languages, such as the hundred connotations of the simple phrase "Ungawa, Bwana". Don't be left out in the cold - sign up now."

Posts: 62 | Location: Richmond, Texas, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could get Chongo from Danger Island (a live-action segment of the Bannana Splits Show) and Chaka from Land of the Lost to present.

posted Hide Post
Wow! You know alot about monkeys, David! Quick, what were some of the ape/chimp character names from Planet of the Apes?

[This message was edited by Greg Gilleland on 04-07-08 at .]

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I remember is Dr. Zaius. (I assume you're talking about the Charlton "Get your hands off me you damn dirty ape" Heston version and not the Mark "Dirk Diggler" Wahlberg version.)

P.S. I was always partial to Ron Ely's Tarzan myself.

posted Hide Post
Cornelius

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zira
Honorious
Lucius
Maximus
Julius
Hunt Leader

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was an orangutan. (Just like Dr. Zaius.)

posted Hide Post
Back to the original story. What do you think about the fact that the officer gave two verbal warnings to the errant primate before opening fire? Too much TV for the cop?

Posts: 105 | Location: Marshall, Texas, Harrison | Registered: February 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're right. He should've used sign language.