TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    UCW?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UCW? Login/Join 
posted
License holder of concealed weapon is stopped and has several guns on him in addition to marihuanna.
Does 46.02 apply since he has a license but was committing another offense, or is he moved to 46.035 which does not seem to criminalize the act of having a concealed handgun while committing another crime.

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This seems to be unresolved by the courts or statute. A quick check through Lexis revealed nothing on point. My gut tells me it would fall under 46.02, except 46.03 explicitly states that "it is not a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor...was licensed to carry a conceald handgun." So who knows if the Leg just forgot to include that language in 46.02 or if they intended for CHL holders to fall under some other section.....

Posts: 66 | Location: Travis County, TX, USA | Registered: August 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a similar issue with a license holder who is also a member of a gang. He was charged with UCW since he was a gang member and had a gun when stopped but the defense wants to quash the information because defendant had a valid concealed weapons permit. I have been searching but so far have found nothing on point.

Posts: 6 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post