TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Prior Convictions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prior Convictions Login/Join 
posted
When dealing with offense enhancements, what is classified as a prior conviction? I'm curious about probation and deferred adjudication. If someone is currently on probation of deferred, isn't that a conviction until they have served that term?

Posts: 16 | Location: Converse, TX, USA | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The TDCAA publication The Perfect Plea (2010--yellow cover) (p52 explains final convictions) contains a handy summary.

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where can I get a copy of the perfect plea? I'm not seeing it on the publication page.

Posts: 16 | Location: Converse, TX, USA | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black market.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What offense are you interested in?
Deferreds typically don't enhance crimes; however, in some situations they do--Like Family violence when the judgment has an affirmative finding within it.

Posts: 169 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Theft

posted Hide Post
Theft is enhanced with two prior convictions to a State Jail See 31.03 (e)(3). The statute says convicted as opposed to finally convicted so that typically means and does mean in this statute that they had at a minumum been placed on Community Supervision--It does not mean Defferred or Pretrial. You can use class C theft including theft by check; however, IBC--issuance of a bad check is NOT a theft and is therefore not good.

Posts: 169 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post