TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Editing Video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Editing Video Login/Join 
posted
Does anybody know of an affordable and easy to use program that will allow me to cut out the audio portion of the video when the detective and defendant are talking about the results of a polygraph examination?

During this discussion, the Defendant makes good admissions that support the outcry of my child sex assault victim. Unfortunately the polygraph examination comes up a lot during the interview and me simply muting the video briefly is not an option.

Posts: 63 | Location: Henderson, Texas, United States | Registered: December 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's what I've done-

You can use Audacity to strip out the audio from a video file. Then use Audacity to mute out the statements. Once you're done with that, recombine the (edited) Audacity audio with your original video file.

It's going to be a substantial amount of time that your computer is tied up converting and encoding, but working with audio in Audacity is MUCH easier than anything else.

This can help get you started, if you've never worked with Audacity before: http://www.wikihow.com/Extract...o-File-With-Audacity

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of it will depend on the format of the file you are working with.

I have traditionally used Windows Moviemaker to edit files. You have the ability to split a larger video into smaller clips and then mute the audio on a particular clip.

It comes standard with windows or can be downloaded from Microsoft.

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or go old school. Cable your video player to a video recorder and unplug the audio cables at the time of the objectionable material. Also, I make it a habit of asking the judge to inform the jury that certain portions of the audio has been deleted and that they should not speculate or draw any inference about what may or may not have been said during those portions.

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Robert said, it does depend on the format of the file you need to redact. If the format is non-standard and/or proprietary that takes a "specialized" player, then an option to get it to a standard format is to use Lite Cam (a screen capture program). FYI - standard format is mp4,mpg, wmv, avi - these typically play without needing to find and open a player first.

To redact your standard formats, Womble (womble.com) is a good relatively inexpensive option. You can do audio or both audio and video. The beauty of Womble over Audacity is that you won't have to strip the various audio/video tracts and then recombine them again.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 90 | Location: Georgetown, TX | Registered: October 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post