TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Deferred Adjudication
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deferred Adjudication Login/Join 
posted
I have been told conflicting interpretations of what "conviction" means under Sec. 46.04. UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREARM. So, I would like some clarification from anyone with experience in this area.

Question: Under Texas law, is a person who has completed deferred adjudication probation for a felony offense considered "convicted" for purposes of purchasing or possessing a firearm?

Posts: 27 | Registered: April 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If the case was not adjudicated, then there was no conviction and that prior does not "count" under PC 46.04. But I don't know if federal law differs re: purchases, etc.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. A deferred by its very terms is not a conviction. A straight probation, by contrast, is a conviction, although not a final conviction for purposes of enhancement under Chapter 12 of the Penal Code.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shannon Edmonds:
If the case was not adjudicated, then there was no conviction and that prior does not "count" under PC 46.04. But I don't know if federal law differs re: purchases, etc.

Got it thank you. As to federal law, it all depends on the Circuit you are in. Some circuits consider it a conviction, while others do not. The 5th Circuit treats deferred adjudication as a conviction for enhancement under the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and the Immigration and Nationality Act.

posted Hide Post
One more data point to add: read Cuellar v State, 70 S.W.3d 815, and its progeny. Cuellar involved a straight probation, but when the defendant was discharged, it was a "judicial clemency"-type discharge, which dismissed the indictment, set aside the conviction, and released him from all penalties and disabilities of the conviction. As a result, Cuellar was no longer a "felon" for the purposes of section 46.04(a). Be sure that a crafty defense attorney doesn't sneak that language into a discharge order and slide it by your judge.

Posts: 41 | Location: 47th District | Registered: June 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. I read that case and it clarified that a "judicial clemency" sets aside the conviction, and therefore, the person is no longer constrained by the disabilities of not being able to possess a firearm. Thank you for the reply