TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    agreed chapter 59 forfeiture as evidence in criminal case
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

agreed chapter 59 forfeiture as evidence in criminal case Login/Join 
posted
We are in trial on a possession of controlled subbstance case. 1,000 dollars was seized from the defendant the night of his arrest for cocaine possession. The defendant entered into an agreed judgment as to the seizure of the money. The defendant is now using the defense that the cocaine was not his. Can the agreed judgment come in as an admission against interest?

Posts: 131 | Location: Hondo, Texas | Registered: November 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure but I have always taken the position that doing that is bad for business. I don't want to discourage settlement in the forfeiture. I usually even put language in the agreement that it will not be used against you at a subsequent criminal matter to clear anything up. How is you agreement handled? Does the defendant sign it or just his attorney or both? Who would your witness be?

Posts: 169 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a public record and a certified copy. Not sure if we need a witness to get it in.

Posts: 131 | Location: Hondo, Texas | Registered: November 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post