TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Criminal Appellate Certification
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Criminal Appellate Certification Login/Join 
posted
Anyone out there applied for criminal appellate certification? I applied with the hope that I would meet the standards set for being certified without examination, as I am already certified in criminal law and have stayed active in appellate law.

The application was much easier (online) than the one for criminal law.

Anyway, I was wondering what your experience was and whether we will see many prosecutors taking the exam or seeking cross-certification.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I applied, and I didn't find the application difficult to manage. It just took forever to enter the information on the 50 past appeals! The hardest part was just lining up the references, especially since you need at least one appellate judge.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. Despite more than 70 appeals, I only have 3 first chairs on oral arguments.

One day....

However, I was a recommendation for a judge. That form was really easy, but was on paper and not electronic.

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Judging from the people I've heard talking about it, the oral argument bar is going to be the hardest to meet.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rounded up the information for about 125 appeals but hadn't submitted it yet. I know I have more than enough oral arguments but most were in the 90's when we did oral arguments on almost all of our cases. I really don't remember in which ones I did oral arguments. My appellate work has slowed down as my office has grown. We have have a "you catch it you skin it rule" so if you prosecute the trial case, you do the appeal.

I'll probably submit it here pretty quick and see what happens.

Posts: 233 | Location: Anderson, Texas | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can check for oral argument at court of appeal websites by pulling up cases and looking at history.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post