TDCAA Community
Forfeited Facebook Password as COP or Condition of Bond

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/5341019622

September 13, 2011, 11:02
Taylor_Heaton
Forfeited Facebook Password as COP or Condition of Bond
What do you all think about a judge ordering a person to forfeit facebook passwords as a condition of probation? What about as a condition of bond?

I could potentially see problems if a judge orders the password forfeited as a bond condition and the pretrial department finds that they have confessed to the murder online under a password protected account.

One of our judges is considering doing this as a standard bond condition and probation condition. I can't find any case law on the issue.
September 13, 2011, 14:25
Brody V. Burks
Would you let the judge insert a condition of bond where the person had to turn over all of their mail to the judge to be read? Or to give up their diaries?

As a condition of probation it's perhaps a closer case, but even then I'd ask that he just prohibit the use of facebook, rather than decide to bypass that whole tricky 4th Amendment.
September 13, 2011, 16:44
Robert S. DuBoise
I know that we routinely require juvenile probationer's to provide their JPO with the passwords for Facebook and MySpace as a condition of probation.
September 14, 2011, 11:24
Taylor_Heaton
Brody,

I totally agree. This isn't something that our office is asking for, rather something that the judge is thinking of doing on his own. I can see problems on the horizon....