Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 27
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Last Words Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The "father" of the lethal injection mix does not have a problem with the use of a single drug:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ju0_UPvEVxUhVLghH9flkDra4lEAD9C4QOJ80

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JB:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/slideshows/news/Texas_Executions_2009.html?c=y&page=1

After looking through all of them, this stuck out the most- 22 executions, with 3 high school diplomas between them (and two more GEDs, probably earned on death row).

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was also surprised at how many of them had no criminal history.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Tennessee capital murderer was executed yesterday. He had filed a last minute claim that he shouldn't be executed because of delays in his execution -- delays brought about by his appeals and collateral attacks on the case. Justice Stevens would have granted review on the issue. But Justice Thomas gives the last words on that subject. Worth reading, especially for his proposed solution at the conclusion of his opinion. Click here for his opinion.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very well written.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A condemned 44-year-old inmate is hoping the U.S. Supreme Court keeps him from the Texas death chamber for the fatal slashing of an 11-year-old girl.

Anyone want to guess what issue he is raising at the last minute?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No court has bought his trite claim!

JAS

posted Hide Post
I grew up in Granbury, and Sarah Patterson went to the same school as my younger sister. I'm a very skeptical supporter of the death penalty, but if there was an appropriate case, it's Bobby Wayne Woods.

On a much happier note, his other intended victim, Cody Patterson, is now doing well, a high school graduate, and has earned his apprentice plumbers license. There was an article about Cody in a recent Hood County News.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 44-year-old Texas man was executed Thursday for the rape and murder of an 11-year-old girl after the U.S. Supreme Court rejected an appeal that he was too mentally impaired to qualify for capital punishment.

Details.

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Saying he was now "paroled to my Father in heaven," a convicted killer in Ohio on Tuesday became the first person in the United States to be executed with a one-drug intravenous lethal injection.

Details.

[This message was edited by JB on 12-09-09 at .]

posted Hide Post
I fully support that kind of parole.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My thoughts exactly.

I also liked this statement:
quote:
Mr. Scheidegger also dismissed the criticism that the new approach was untested on humans. �What kind of test do they expect?� he said. �A controlled study with volunteers? Not likely.�

(On another note, I have to admit that I liked his style of last meal:
quote:
In the afternoon, he had a snack of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. At night, he was to be served a meal of cheese pizza, onion rings, fried mushrooms, Doritos, French onion dip, blueberry ice cream, cherry pie and Dr Pepper...
)

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After that meal, his LDL numbers probably kick-started the effects of the drug.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mosley shook his head once when asked by a warden if he had any final statement. As the lethal drugs began taking effect, he snored a few times, then gasped slightly. Nine minutes later, at 6:16 p.m. CST, he was pronounced dead.

Details.

posted Hide Post
Prison officials said Bordelon, who made no last-minute appeals, maintained until the end that he wanted to die, WWL-TV in New Orleans reported.

Details.

posted Hide Post
Ohio has executed its second inmate using a new one-drug method, officials said Thursday. Vernon Smith, 37, was pronounced dead at 10:28 a.m., according to a statement from the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction.

Details.

posted Hide Post
Johnson's attorneys say the 59-year-old inmate is nearly blind and too ill to be executed.

Details.

posted Hide Post
Johnson declined the warden�s offer to make a final statement. �Just tell my family good bye,� he said. But then, his voice choking with emotion, he urged relatives to tell other family members �what they did was wrong for letting me take the fall for what they did.� �I never done anything in my life to anybody,� he said.

Details.

posted Hide Post
In his first comments to the family of an Austin police officer he fatally shot more than 30 years ago, Texas death row inmate David Lee Powell took responsibility in a hand-written letter and apologized for "the evil I have done."

"I am infinitely sorry that I killed Ralph Ablanedo ," wrote Powell, who shot Ablanedo 10 times with an AK-47, according to court records. "I stole from you and the world the precious and irreplaceable life of a good man."

Details.