TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    ADA Emily Asel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ADA Emily Asel Login/Join 
posted
How many prosecutors are there in the state?

Is there a contact in the Harris County DA's office that can collect donations from other county prosecutors?

I read the article and thought: there's no reason why we can't help too. If each prosecutor could give a few dollars, it would really add up. If someone from Harris County could point me in the right direction, I'd like to see about gathering up support from the TDCAA membership.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Contact Ted Wilson or Investigator Milton Ojeman. They were spearheading the donations at the annual update. They were able to raise a significant amount of money.

I'm fixing to send some more money to Ted for Emily.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will do. Thanks Greg.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(713) 755-5846

Ted Wilson or Angela Parrish

Harris County has a fund set up to receive donations. Call the number I've posted here and they'll get you the necessary information. Checks can be made out to the "Emily Asel Fund" and sent to Ms. Parrish or Mr. Wilson at the Harris County DA's office. There's no reason why we all can't give a dollar or two.

posted Hide Post
I was thinking the same thing. If they set up a paypal account it would help as well.

Posts: 115 | Location: Andrews, Texas | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A paypal account would be great, John.

To me, one important thing to remember is that although Emily has only been a prosecutor a short time, as Rosenthal said, we are family, and it is our privilege to help our fellow prosecutor. If we don't help them, who will?

If you read the article you know the tremendous financial strain on this family. Since both are recent grads from law school, it is reasonable to assume they have some student loan debt as well.

Our contributions may not help to repay the massive medical bills in full, but at least we can help defray the cost of day to day treatment and living and raising a newborn and help this family survive so that Emily can one day soon be putting crooks away and raise her darling baby.

I know from having a father (a former Harris Harris County Prosecutor in the 1960's) who was fortunate enough to be able to fight his cancer for 26 years, despite being given a 30% chance of surviving 90 days in the spring of 1978, that just the parking costs alone at MD Anderson are quite expensive. I literally spent more than one-half of my life accompanying my father to various treatments, surgeries and tests at MDA, and the "incidental" expenses that accompany treatment are alone enough to challenge any family financially.

Let's pray for Emily and her family, and let's put our money where our mouths are and help this young prosecutor and her family through this ordeal!

As an aside, even though my Father left the Harris County DA's office in the late 1960's to enter private practice, in (I think) 1980, that office still cared about my father, even though they had heated courtroom battles in the intervening years. I'll never forget in 1980, my Father and I encountered DA Holmes and some of his staff on election day at the precinct near our home. Johnny offerred my dad a job on the spot, knowing my Father was about to reenter the workforce and reestablish a law practice after being out two years in his first cancer battle.

I was very touched by that offer, and although my father ended up remaining in private practice for financial reasons, he remarked on several occasions that he really wanted to be a prosecutor again and that it was the best job he ever had.

Kudos to Harris County for taking care of our own, and let's help them take care of one of our own!

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A paypal account would be great.

I also found Emily, Brian and Sophie on the baby registries at Target and Babies-R-Us. Nothing perks up a soon to be mommy like gifts in the mail for her little one and both those sites will send them straight to their home (or whatever address they have designated) w/o revealing her address to outsiders !

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stacey! I'll be in the area of a BRU tomorrow!

posted Hide Post
Emily already has a page set up with a Pay Pal link.

http://emilyasel.com/

Posts: 60 | Location: Austin, TX US | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Send Target Gift Cards through the Baby Registry. Most Targets sell groceries, etc.

Posts: 17 | Location: Conroe, Texas | Registered: April 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our office participated over 70%. While our contribution is modest in comparison to her total bills, I'd encourage other offices to do their best as well.

posted Hide Post
FYI, she had her baby yesterday. Apparently healthy, too. Smile

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post