TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Strip Club Fee Nixed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strip Club Fee Nixed Login/Join 
posted
Judge strikes down strip club fee
By Corrie MacLaggan | Friday, March 28, 2008, 02:32 PM
A state district judge today ruled that Texas may not collect a $5-per-customer strip club fee that went into effect in January.

Judge Scott Jenkins wrote in an opinion that the fee, "while furthering laudable goals, violates the First Amendment to the United States Constitution and is therefore invalid."

For the rest of the story,

click here.

[This message was edited by JB on 03-28-08 at .]

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How does a fee to see "nekkid wimmin" violate the first amendment? Red Face

(I cannot tell you guys how pleased I am that my 610 post includes the phrase "nekkid wimmin".) Big Grin

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its "Free" expression not "Fee"

Posts: 158 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All guys know that "nekkid wimmin" have never been free.

Posts: 170 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
All guys know that "nekkid wimmin" have never been free.

I was going to object to that, but then I thought; "Hey, he's right!"

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still not free, but $5 cheaper. Ahh, freedom of expression, now we know what those framers really had in mind.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cohen vows to revive $5-per-patron strip club fee

By CAROLYN FEIBEL
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

State Rep. Ellen Cohen pledged Monday to revive a $5-per-patron strip club fee, three days after a Travis County district judge struck down the law as unconstitutional.

"We are discouraged by Judge Jenkins' verdict, but we are not disheartened," said Cohen, the law's primary sponsor when it was signed into law last June. Later Monday, she traveled to Austin to meet with the Texas Attorney General's Office, which plans to appeal the ruling.

Rest of story.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pole Tax Revived?

This year's nominees for "best headline for a posting" are ...

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post