TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Guilty or not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guilty or not? Login/Join 
posted
Defendant is on the verge of pleading guilty after the jury has been selected. He then decides to reject the plea. The jury gets called into the courtroom and seated. After presentation of the indictment, the Court asks the defendant how he pleads.

He sits there. Saying nothing. Then he looks back at his family in the audience, shurgs his shoulders, and mouths at them, "what should I do"? Defendant starts to say something and judge calls us to the bench. After a brief conference, and then a brief chat between the attorney and defendant, the defendant enters a very faint not guilty plea.

Can I comment on this behavior in my closing?

Posts: 146 | Location: Vernon, Texas | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would stay as far away from that as possible. You'd be skating way too close to a comment on defendant's right to remain silent, as well as an improper comment on his not guilty plea, and you don't need to comment on it: the jury saw it themselves. If your facts aren't good enough without arguing that detail, it shouldn't be in court.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gretchen:
you don't need to comment on it: the jury saw it themselves.

Ditto.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The defendant is going to testify. Change anything?

Posts: 146 | Location: Vernon, Texas | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't comment on it. It is not in evidence. And it will present the issue of the defendant's failure to testify. Dangerous to imply evidence from mere courtroom behavior.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would be a comment on non-testimonial courtroom demeanor. Generally improper because it is outside the record and because can impinge on the defendant's fifth amendment right not to testify. The classic error is "you saw no remorse from this defendant" while pointing at the defendant who did not testify or give a statement to the police.

If a defendant does something in the courtroom that you can properly use--lets say the old "finger pistol" at a witness form of a threat--get that into your record by calling a witness who saw it and then you could argue it in closing.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he testifies then you can properly remind the jury that they are the judge of a witnesses credibility, and they can decide for themselves whether they believe him or not. I would keep that in general terms, avoid any mention of the defendants actions during plea, and let the jury remember what they saw on their own.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post