TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Theft by Check Enhancement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Theft by Check Enhancement Login/Join 
posted
Is there anything out there saying you cannot enhance a theft conviciton with prior theft by check convictions? My PD thinks they cannot but I would argue differently. Theft by Check is merely a presumption of intent making it a theft conviction enhanceable under 31.03.

Posts: 96 | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Theft By Check is not technically a separate crime, it is just a category of Theft cases, and convictions can be used to enhance a later theft case.

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember reading that the statute talkedof "any grade of theft" for priors. I'd try it, as long as I could actualy prove the prior class C conviction. (This is difficult to do for us, because there are no prints associated w/ the class C convictions.)

Posts: 124 | Location: West Texas | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was assuming that your prior theft by check convictions are not Class C cases, since those would only involve checks under $20, which we normally see filed as Issuance of Bad Check (which is a Class C). IBC is not a theft offense, and cannot be used to enhance a later theft.

The problem we occasionally see is when we have a good IBC case for a large amount, say a $20,000 check. This is still a Class C, and we may have no provable theft case, but our JP courts refuse to accept the filing of the charges because they think it's "out of their jurisdictional limits" despite our pointing them to the statutes. (What they really don't want to do is accept responsibility for collecting restitution on a check that large when they can't enforce it with jail time). We are put in the position of telling victims of these kinds of cases that there is little we can do.

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we have one big check and no others, we sometimes solve the problem by scheduling the matter for grand jury (assuming the check is big enough) and that somehow shakes the tree & gets the matter resolved, unless,of course, the grand jury thinks the debt is purely civil & they dump it.

If I have several checks, we aggregate them & file the appropriate felony, or B/A misdemeanor.

Posts: 124 | Location: West Texas | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post