TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    What does your office use to create scene diagrams?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does your office use to create scene diagrams? Login/Join 
posted
I am gathering a list of programs to be used to create crash and/or crime scene diagrams. The diagrams would run the gamut from vehicle accidents to murder scenes.

The software must be windows based and be simple to use. Our small office does not have the time or artistic flair needed to master a complex program. The more pre-programmed templates, reference points, weapons, vehicles, etc. the better.

I would appreciate any advice, sources or thoughts on the matter. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 158 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I checked with our Highway Patrol Division. Our accident reconstruction teams have been using AutoCad software which runs about $600. However, recently, many are switching to MapScenes Pro (www.mapscenes.com)which is about $1400. However, MapScenes Pro is a more powerful program. The MapScenes Pro website has a product comparison checker for MapScene Pro, MapScenes Light, AutoCad, and one other program.

Janette Ansolabehere
DPS

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you want it to do? Are you looking for a program to do simple diagrams for trial?

Posts: 61 | Location: Lubbock, Texas | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You also might try a Google search. I did one and found a bunch of programs for this type of thing. I know the MapScenes Pro has one that is geared towards mapping out crime scenes.

Janette Ansolabehere

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Todd- That's exactly what I am looking for. We have been lucky and not had many scenes like that described in this months's "The Texas Prosecutor". However, a user friendly program to diagram floor plans in domestic violence cases or to show where contraband was located and recovered would aid us in the cases we do try.

Janette- thanks, I have ordered a demo disk to check it out. Also, I have done an internet search but I was hoping that somebody might have a program they like or dislike and share their reasons.

Posts: 158 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jay- It's been my experience that those programs tend to create diagrams that look excellent in the case file - but do not go into court well. Some borders, walls and other items are too light, the whole diagram seems cluttered and hard to read.
For trial diagrams, simple generally works best and I use PowerPoint (I know everyone thinks I use PowerPoint for everything). By using the lines, circles and other graphics with PowerPoint, I can "draw" pretty much any scene. It is fairly simple to do and translates well to our projectors or poster boards.

Posts: 61 | Location: Lubbock, Texas | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post