TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Criminal Dismissal Dockets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Criminal Dismissal Dockets Login/Join 
posted
One of our judges is contemplating holding dismissal dockets for criminal cases because he believes this is a normal practice in other counties. This is a new one on me, as I can find no basis for this concept within the CCP. Has anyone come across this? If this is standard procedure in some other jursidiction, I would sure love to know how that works...

Posts: 35 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: March 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
dismissal dockets for criminal cases

Never heard of it. I don't even know what that term means.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with Shannon. What's a dismissal docket?

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The term means something in the civil law, where cases are dismissed for want of prosecution. But, in criminal law such a docket should merely call for a trial setting, followed by motions for continuance (to eliminate charging the passage of time to one side or the other on the speedy trial clock). I would prefer to call this the "trial" docket, but I guess the court can control not only its docket, but appellations.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In at least one large county, "Dismissal Dockets" amount to a list of old, non-arrest cases that the court would like to get off the docket. The prosecutor presented with such a list will then evaluate the cases by category or individually, line out those that should not be dismissed, and present a motion to dismiss covering the remainder.

Posts: 8 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: January 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post