TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Theft by Lawyer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Theft by Lawyer Login/Join 
posted
John P. Bender, an Austin attorney, will have to wait until July 29 to learn his sentence. On June 23, a 331st District Court jury convicted Bender of aggregated theft and aggregated misapplication of fiduciary property, both first-degree felonies, according to Patty Robertson , the Travis County assistant district attorney who prosecuted State v. Bender . On Nov. 12, 2008, a Travis County grand jury indicted Bender on the theft and misapplication of fiduciary property charges in connection with his alleged personal use of P.E.T. Imaging Ltd. funds between Aug. 1, 2000, and Feb. 1, 2003. Robertson says Bender withdrew more than $930,000 of the company's funds; P.E.T. Imaging conducted positron emission tomography scans of patients to detect cancer and other medical problems.

Details.

[I graduated from UH Law Center with Bender. Turns out one of the victims of his theft scheme was another classmate from that same law school and has been a long-time friend. In addition, for my first job upon leaving law school, I worked as a briefing attorney at the CCA. Got to know Judge Miller then, as he was one of the nine judges on the CCA. Bender's victim worked with me at the same time, although for a different judge. Interesting connections. I am curious to see the sentence.

Any other classmates out there? Anyone else know Bender?]

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've known John for almost ten years now. His conviction came as quite a shock- he didn't want me to know about it, but I found out thru an odd chain of events. If you see this reply and would like to communicate via email off this message board, I'll be happy to exchange addresses with you.

Posts: 1 | Registered: December 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has there been an update on this case?

Ed Lane

Posts: 22 | Location: Wichita Falls, Texas, United States | Registered: August 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a recent update, but on July 30 there was a report that Bender was sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Posts: 325 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's correct. He got 20 years and was transferred to prison. Although he may appeal, he won't be out on bond pending that appeal.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$930,000??? And he thought maybe they wouldn't notice?

No doubt that kind of money creates more temptation than most folks ever have to deal with, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that's the kind of thing you do just before you change your name, have plastic surgery, and move to a remote Pacific island.

Posts: 137 | Location: Corsicana, TX | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post