TDCAA Community
Generational Prosecution

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/5551089571

September 08, 2008, 14:04
Jeff Swain
Generational Prosecution
I'm sure this is not unique to my county, but have y'all noticed how many different generations of the same family we handle in this business? I have prosecuted 2 generations many times and 3 generations once that I can recall. The worst is when they're co-defendants and the only name difference is the number behind the name.

Anyone (and I'm speaking to you old-timers out there) ever handled 4 generations of the same family?
September 08, 2008, 14:37
MW
Just a few weeks ago we had a father and son on the same docket, for completely unrelated offenses. Kinda makes you all warm and fuzzy inside to see that kind of family bonding.
September 08, 2008, 14:42
Gordon LeMaire
We've got one father-son duo with the same name and someone hasn't been placing Jr./Sr. as appropriate. Makes for an interesting docket call.

We have also had one inmate send a letter to the Sheriff asking to be appointed a trustee. Because, no kidding, his father and his grandfather had been trustees for the county jail. That is a true family business.
September 08, 2008, 14:48
E. Foley
The most I've handled that I'm aware of is two generations, though I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually three on a number of them. It was particularly depressing to note a few weeks ago that I had a felony family violence case on a guy whose dad I handled a family violence case on in 1998. Gee, wonder where Junior (actually, he was a "III") picked that up?
September 09, 2008, 07:05
SnapShawt
Two days ago I arrested a kid for criminal trespass. I also popped him two months ago for burglary motor vehicle (he's been hit with that three times previously as well). His father is currently in a tank on a separate block, and his mother is in one of the female tanks. All in the same jail. His sister was just transported to state jail a couple of months ago I believe.

I've dealt with another family who have all been in and out of jail (father/mother/son/two daughters). It's sad, but not uncommon.
September 09, 2008, 08:03
John Greenwood
Back when I was on the darkside, I had a case where the father came into hire one specific partner of the firm to represent his son. He wanted to hire that partner because when that lawyer had been with the DA's office, he had prosecuted the father and done such a good job, he was surely going to do a good job defending the son.
September 09, 2008, 08:45
DSR
Not that I am an Old Timer but I have two fourth generation families.
September 09, 2008, 08:46
e sainz
I knew of a case where father was in the federal pen , son was in another federal pen, and grandson was in TDC -- all different counties and offenses. I think they got the wrong idea when they heard people should diversify their portfolio.
September 09, 2008, 09:06
Rick Miller
We've had a saying in our office for many years: "Scaggs beget scaggs." And our docket calls continue to prove that adage true.
September 09, 2008, 09:48
P.D. Ray
Andy Posey, meth dealing, 40 years
Kimi Posey, meth assistant, 7 years
Ashly Posey, SJF x4, 2 years
Christmas in the Pen, Priceless.
September 09, 2008, 15:43
Mark Edwards
Last week we had Julian Reyes, Jr. and Julian Reyes, III in court on the same day. I also learned that Julian III had twins a few years ago and named them, that's right, Julian IV and Julian V. Job security.
September 09, 2008, 15:57
Gordon LeMaire
quote:
I also learned that Julian III had twins a few years ago and named them, that's right, Julian IV and Julian V. Job security.

I guess that's better than Deniece and Denephew. Big Grin
September 09, 2008, 16:32
pkdyer
He's just trying to be like George Forman!! He has a few more to go I guess
September 10, 2008, 09:02
Fred Edwards
In some places generational distinctions are somewhat nebulous...its a big problem in places like say Bastrop County or West Virginia. Big Grin
September 10, 2008, 17:10
JohnW
I've noticed a correlation between the generational criminals and the generational disabled welfare recipients. I never knew soft tissue injuries were genetic.......
September 11, 2008, 22:32
Chris Schneider
At one time Armando Zapata, Sr. was in the county jail awaiting transport to TDC for like his 14th DWI. Armando Zapata, Jr. was doing time in the county jail for DWI 2nd and Armando Zapata, III was in juvenile detention for?.....DWI!
September 12, 2008, 06:56
Lisa Peterson
One of my first juvie cases as an ACA was two sisters caught burglarizing a home while Mom stood outside kibitzing.

The sisters are now grandmothers, and the youngest grandchild is on deferred prosecution. While I don't think I ever prosecuted the original Momma (the DA took care of her for me), I did get the other three generations. Of the seven (I think) family members I have prosecuted, five were female; one had a violent crime, the others have had assorted issues with property belonging to others. Amazingly, none of them have had hot check issues.

This either says something for their tenacity or my inadequacy... Confused

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney
October 21, 2008, 15:16
MDK
Yeah - I have had 4th generations - sadly, the first of the four was, I think, the last one in the family I prosecuted.

I know.... I need another line of work. Should have staid retired......