TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    New Racing Statute- death or SBI
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Racing Statute- death or SBI Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone tried a racing case involving death or SBI? if so, any suggestions on voir dire, expert questions, issues that come up, themes??
545.420, 2nd degree

Posts: 1 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brazoria County currently has an indictment pending for Racing causing death. Has anyone ever tried one of these cases? Or know of one that has been appealed?

Posts: 71 | Location: Angleton, Texas, USA | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both Tarrant County and Nacodoches County have prosecuted F2 street racing cases in the last couple of years. The Tarrant County case resulted in a plea during trial and in the second case the defendant entered a guilty plea but as of a couple of days ago, the jury was still deliberating the punishment.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried the one in Nacogdoches. Email me or call me, and I'll be glad to discuss it with you. My defendant did plead guilty to the jury, but he wouldn't plead before we selected the jury, so I did have voir dire as if we were trying him for guilt/innocence.

Posts: 77 | Location: Nacogdoches County, Texas | Registered: April 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our Racing trial begins next week, anyone got anything new? What about causation? Has anyone found that to be an issue? Example: driver 1 and driver 2 are racing, driver 2 goes out of control and kills victim and himself; driver 1 gets indicted for racing resulting in death of victim (not driver 2).

Posts: 71 | Location: Angleton, Texas, USA | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one that (almost) went to trial. After we picked the first jury, I Batson'd the defense attorney's strikes, and the Court called a mistrial (long story) to get a new panel. My defendant ended up pleaing right before we picked the second jury. My contact details are in my profile.

Posts: 22 | Location: Brownsville, Texas | Registered: January 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post