TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    who's the proper witness?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

who's the proper witness? Login/Join 
posted
In an intoxication assault case, what person would be the most appropriate witness to testify that the level of alcohol tested by the hospital (expressed in mg/dL) equals an alcohol concentration above the legal limit?

I've done the math from Richard Alpert's book and know that the concentration level is .167. But who testifies? DPS chemist? Trooper? Medical Doctor? Technician from the hospital lab?

Posts: 52 | Location: meridian, texas | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need a real toxicologist who understands the conversion of serum to whole blood and the 'issues' in doing such a conversion, as well as the testing technique.

Posts: 70 | Location: Ft. Worth, Texas | Registered: October 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. You need a toxicologist. The others folks mentioned likely don't understand all of the caveats of such testimony.

Posts: 21 | Location: Mansfield | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where would you find such a toxicologist?

Posts: 36 | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I called my friendly neighborhood DPS crime lab. They had some toxicologists on staff, and I was able to speak with one about the case. Big thank you to the Crime Lab folks!

Posts: 52 | Location: meridian, texas | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post