TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Texas Sized Egg on Face
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Sized Egg on Face Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
No, but "specious" is. It is a dread slight, to be sure, against all those who might pick up that favored lute of the Appalachian mountain dwellers. (Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if said dwellers were also bitter or named Jeremiad.)

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David, you could always adopt "Wrong Way" since "Exit Only" is taken.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, since Shannon made my point better than I did, I can't let it go at that. =)

I humbly suggest the Foo Fighters "Best of You" as a more appropriate theme song for this thread.

I'm also thinking of bringing back the 'Do-Wop' in another desperate attempt to be included as a back up singer or at least the guy in the crowd who wears the band t-shirt of the band he's seeing in concert.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was aghast, David, when my fellow seniors decided to choose Dust in the Wind as our Senior Song, oh so many years ago.

There were other nominations by Ted Nugent that did not fare so well in the voting.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Though not as amenable to the signature block, David's sentiment seems to point toward the maxim usually attributed to Mark Twain:

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let the world think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Musically, another suggestion might be the Tubes number, "Talk to Ya Later."

P.S. Give me a Mastertone philosopher over a bloviator, blogtator or bigamist. Hmmm. Now that I think about it, I just insulted myself. (I don't have a blog, and one wife is quite enough for me.)

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Philip D Ray:
the guy in the crowd who wears the band t-shirt of the band he's seeing in concert.

Yeah, but that Merkins shirt should be a collectable now. Wink

And thanks for the up-eloquencing Mr. Brumley, though I imagine many would say that I am not nearly as deep as Mark Twain.

[This message was edited by David Newell on 04-22-08 at .]

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Seeker" is pretty good. Maybe "You Tube" will have a parody of the women with Hendrix's "Wild Thing" in the background.

Posts: 62 | Location: Richmond, Texas, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fred Felcman:
"The Seeker" is pretty good. Maybe "You Tube" will have a parody of the women with Hendrix's "Wild Thing" in the background.

Newell's chief musical problem, Freddy, is a perhaps youthful inability to fully appreciate music that was made before or shortly after his birth.

He knows about that music, can freely quote at will from it and actually knows more about 60's/70's music than 99% of the population in his generation.

But for some reason, he'd rather listen to De La Soul or The Spice Girls instead of Hendrix.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is for Axl Rose to release Chinese Democracy. (That way I'm guaranteed a can of Dr. Pepper.)

I'll freely admit that I don't understand or appreciate music as well as an accomplished musician such as you, Greg. (I'm being sincere.)

posted Hide Post
I respectfully disagree with your kudos, Mr. Newell. I've had plenty of real musicians tell me that my taste in music was horrible.

I simply said you don't listen to enough 60's-70's OR talk about enough of the classic stuff, but you have Freddy and I both when it comes to pretty much any music trivia and knowledge after the early 90's. Your astute quotes and metaphors often involve and indeed, evoke images from rap songs. But sometimes, it'd be nice to hear a phrase from Purple Haze or Maxwell Silverhammer, or even a line from a nice Glen Campbell selection.

You're a walking encyclopedia of musical and legal knowledge, and don't try to deny it. You're a lyrical poet, and you should know it.

posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, but sometimes something just grabs ahold of me tightly and makes me flow like a harpoon daily and nightly. (By the way, the Richard Cheese version of Ice Ice Baby is awesome.) But I'm certainly no Phillip Ray.

I'll make a concerted effort to tweak my reference mix. (In my defense, I specifically replaced the phrase "ad infinitum" with "the road goes on forever and the story never ends" during the CCA Update last year just for you.)

posted Hide Post
I googled "ed cummings, philadelphia, pa" and the first result there is very interesting. I couldn't possibly say if it's the same ed cummings posting here - to do so would probably "evade due diligence."

But back to the more interesting topic, I prefer the Troggs' version of Wild Thing to Hendrix, (you just can't beat a solo on an ocarina) and the song that came to mind reading the posts was Charlie Daniels - If you don't like the way I'm livin', you can just leave this long haired country boy alone.

Or maybe Lou Reed's "Vicious."

Or the Kinks - "Destroyer."

Posts: 36 | Location: Kaufman, Texas, USA | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Lou Reed nomination, Cam.

posted Hide Post
I guess that posting nonsense about songs is going to make people forget this topic?

Woman Accused Of False Reporting Is State Democratic Delegate

Posted: 10:42 PM Apr 22, 2008
Last Updated: 1:48 AM Apr 23, 2008
Reporter: Lauri Martin
KKTV- Ch. 11

One of the Colorado Springs delegates for the Colorado State Convention is the same person now under investigation by Texas Rangers who staged a raid on a polygamist compound.

Investigators are trying to determine if Rozita Swinton, who lives here in Colorado Springs, was the caller whose plea for help triggered the raid. That caller claimed to be an abused 16-year-old spiritual wife of a man on the Texas ranch.

Swinton is supposed to attend that convention that is taking place at the World Arena.

It�s not the first time, though, Swinton has been in trouble with the law.

In 2005, she was under arrest and under police interrogation in Castle Rock. Swinton was charged with false reporting. "I didn't lie to you,� Swinton told police.

Cops said she called a Castle Rock adoption agency, claiming to be a suicidal 16-year-old with a gun and a baby. "Rozita, is there a baby that we need to be concerned about?� asked the detective. "Is there a gun in your car or anywhere else we need to be concerned about?"

Swinton answered no to both questions and admitted her story wasn�t true. She pled guilty to false reporting in the case.

The 33-year-old is now answering to Springs Police, charged again with the same crime after allegedly calling 911, claiming she was injured and locked in a basement.

http://www.kktv.com/news/headlines/18032084.html

Posts: 234 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would offer up that horrible number that I've decried before, in another serious subject line: "Alone Again, Naturally." "Dust in the Wind" does properly flavor the point about the lurkers, but Gilbert O'Sullivan's fingernails-on-the-blackboard tune lends itself to that view as well.

Come to think of it, The Hollies' "Long Cool Woman" conjures up some thoughts pertinent to these posts as well.

Of course, like the rest of the Heartland, I'm only clinging to the 70s out of bitterness.

Exit only and leave your specious-ness at the door.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about the old Smiley Lewis standard, "I Hear You Knockin' (But You Can't Come In)"? Hey, that works on multiple levels.

posted Hide Post
I recently served as a county caucus delegate and the experience was horrible... only crazy people volunteered to go on to be state delegates.

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a state delegate. Wink

posted Hide Post
Wait....

Never mind.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Newell:
What about the old Smiley Lewis standard, "I Hear You Knockin' (But You Can't Come In)"? Hey, that works on multiple levels.

Now you know I couldn't be prouder of you at this moment.

I wonder why the law enforcement/prosecutor bashers feel the need to spread their disharmony and negativity on this website? Is it that they have no one else to listen to them? One would think that they could go to any of the anti-LE/DA websites out there and spew their hatred of everything good and decent.

I guess they just don't have anyone in their homes or towns that will listen to them anymore.

In any event, back to the music. As David noted, Carry On My Wayward Son is another fitting suggestion. Of course, Kansas tempted legions of youth with that hit from their first album (OK, I admit it, when I bought it, it was on an 8 track) and then let down music fans everywhere a year later with the Dust in the Wind thing.