TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    a little help?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a little help? Login/Join 
posted
Def. pleads guilty to felony DWI for a ten-year term of probation and appeals from the court's pre-trial deanial of his motion to supress. Must the court allow the defendant to begin to serve his probation? May the court compel the defendant to begin to serve his probation? The court has presently stayed the imposition of the probation and set an appeal bond. The defendant does not want to make a new bond and threatens a mandamus to compel the court to allow him to begin to serve his probation with no appeal bond.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think he can begin serving probation. A pending appeal generally prevents a judgment from achieving finality. I don't think you can legitimately revoke him while he is on appeal. We've had a thread about this before, I think. I admit that we have had judges order defendants to report during the pendency of the appeal, and that they often fulfill terms and conditions during pendency of appeal, but I don't think we've ever tried to revoke anyone.

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out this thread:

Effect of appeal on probation

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This question continues to pop up. There are several threads discussing the issue. Do a search with key words "probation", "appeal", "bond". Meanwhile, start with this thread.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Again, one of the advantages of membership in this community means never having to reinvent the wheel.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post