TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Federal 1983 Suit Vs. Prosecutors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal 1983 Suit Vs. Prosecutors Login/Join 
posted
Our Elected CA (w/ Fel responsibility) and I (Asst.) have been sued in Federal Court for alleged 1983 violations by two defendants who were released on murder charges after the CCA found multiple Ineffective Assistance grounds on Habaes Appeal - No Actual Innocence grounds/claims founded.

We are having problems with TAC and the AG deciding WHO or IF they will represent the Elected.

Has anyone else ran into this problem or been sued in this type of action.

We are looking for potential representation.

Posts: 33 | Location: Littlefield, Texas | Registered: June 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your best option is to convince your commissioners court to pay for outside counsel.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Section 157.901(a) of the Local Government Code provides that a county official or employee sued for an action arising from the performance of public duty is entitled to be represented by the district attorney, county attorney or both. Since that's who the defendant is, subsection (b) becomes pertinent. Under that provision, "[i]f additional counsel is necessary or proper ... the official or employee is entitled to have the commissioners court of the county employ and pay private counsel."

If that can't happen within 20 days of when you were served (in federal court, or the Monday after expiration of 20 days in state court), you should at least consider filing a pro se answer asserting prosecutorial and qualified immunity as defenses so you don't face the prospect of a default judgment and/or waiver of your best defenses. When you are able to secure counsel, he or she can easily appear for you and take the reins. Good luck.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read something recently about rule preventing an elected official from accepting an offer of pro-bono legal representation from a private law firm. Maybe it was an improper gift or something but I don't recall the details.

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input - we're mainly looking for an attorney who specializes in defending 1983 actions.

Anyone know of such?

Posts: 33 | Location: Littlefield, Texas | Registered: June 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're not seeking Pro-Bono help - just a highly recommended and qualified attorney - our Commissioners are happy to foot the bill, if TAC &/or AG fall through

posted Hide Post
He defended me when a ten time DWIer sued federally. Also defended the DA. Based in McKinney.

http://www.mssattorneys.com/

Posts: 42 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: June 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on how much your commissioners are willing to spend. If you'll e-mail me, I'll be glad to send you some names.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post