TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    alcohol concentration from urine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

alcohol concentration from urine Login/Join 
posted
What are your thoughts of obtaining a urine specimen from a defendant to determine the alcohol concentration? Suppose that the sample was taken from the catch pan in the intox. room. I don't see any privacy issues since the defendant was abandoning his urine, like putting the trash out. If this is a problem what about a search warrant for urine? This does not seem to run afoul with ?724 of the transportation code. You would not be able to use either to suspend a drivers license but what is more important the conviction or the ALR suspension?

Posts: 41 | Location: greenville, texas usa | Registered: February 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is his "deposit" voluntary if he is under arrest in the room? I dunno.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are any of his "deposits" voluntary during his stay at the county jail? Does it matter where he is staying he still has to go. I would say that he has to go no matter where it is and the sample is voluntary. The next issue is how to store and test the samples.

Posts: 41 | Location: greenville, texas usa | Registered: February 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dunno. Seems weird somehow, Keith. I'm sure your officers will love collecting the evidence.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't this be covered by Transportation Code section 724.011(b) which states that a person arrested for an offense listed in subsection (a) "may consent to the taking of any other type of speciment to determine the person't alcohol concentration." It would seem from this language that consent is required.

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By that you mean affirmative consent, rather than mere voluntary deposition in a container, right?

posted Hide Post
Right, John. Voluntary consent to the collection of the urine for testing purposes. Not just the fact the person voluntarily performed a natural bodily function. (What a topic!)

Janette Ansolabehere

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Law school was never this much fun, was it, Janette?