TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    body armor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

body armor Login/Join 
posted
May a prosecutor use hot check funds to help offset the costs of bullet proof vests for the local sheriff's office? I've had a request to help with this expenditure if possible.
thanks
Mike Hartman
Scurry County attorney

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who would complain?

Posts: 106 | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The law says the money can be used "only to defray the salaries and expenses of the prosecutor's office." Who knows exactly what that means but as long as it is in support of a legitimate law enforcement purpose I think you will be allright. This kind of purchase can clearly be made with forfeiture money. Why not buy the property and make a loan of it to the law enforcement agency?

Posts: 283 | Location: Montague, Texas, USA | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably the best bet is to ask for an AG opinion, then you're covered in any situation. Although I certainly support bullet proofing our law enforcement as much as we can, no sense in giving any critics you may have ammo for the local rag...

As to complaining, although your motives are certainly altruistic, it would be a drag to have a critic or enemy file a removal motion based on such a good deed...I'm not sure a civil court would agree that vests fall into the catagory of expenses and salaries of a DA's office.

That's my two cents.

Posts: 37 | Location: Richmond, Texas, USA | Registered: July 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Body Armor grant

Look up the OJP Bulletproof Vest Partnership grant. Although the grant is closed for 2003, you might try again in 2004. The Feds love to give money for body armor for police officers. You can partner with your sheriff, constables and investigators employed by the county.

Posts: 20 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: September 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post