TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Punishment evidence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Punishment evidence Login/Join 
posted
I'm in the middle of trial. I intend to introduce defendant's misdemeanor convictions during punishment. Our former County Judge never allowed people to have attorneys appointed in misdemeanor court. As a result, defense attorney is now trying to argue that the misdemeanors cannot come in because defendant had a right to an attorney and was not afforded one. Two of the misdemeanors resulted in County Jail sentences. One resulted in probation. Is anyone aware of caselaw that would help me get these in?

Bethany

Posts: 20 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"When the claim is that the prior conviction is void because obtained in violation of defendant's right to counsel, recitations in the judgment and sentence that the defendant appeared with counsel suffice to create a rebuttable presumption that defendant was represented.[FN7] That presumption can be rebutted, but it requires more than merely the defendant's testimony to effect a rebuttal.[FN8] The same rules apply when the claim is that the prior conviction was obtained without proper waiver of trial by jury.[FN9]"

43 TEX PRACTICE � 38.151; see also De La Garza v. State, No. 13-03-350-CR, 2005 WL 1367395 at *2 (Tex.App. - Corpus Christi June 9, 2005, pet. ref'd) ("a trial court is not required to admonish a misdemeanor defendant of the dangers and disadvantages of self-representation when he appears without an attorney to plead guilty.")

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post