TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Examining Trial-how to stop fishing expo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Examining Trial-how to stop fishing expo Login/Join 
posted
What if State presents no evidence but defense atty subpoenas witnesses for fishing expedition? Usually, Court will find no PC if State puts on no evidence, but in this instance Court says it will allow Defense to call witnesses even though State is putting on no evidence unless there is caselaw that says he can't do this. There is no caselaw (that I could find anyway) because why would this ever be appealed? Usually, Court makes its decision in the absence of State's evidence only (not after defense goes on fishing expedition by calling the witnesses). Anybody have anything?

Posts: 9 | Location: Grayson County, Texas | Registered: October 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dismiss the case. Without a case, the judge can't ignore the law and hold a hearing.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dismiss, get a true bill, then rearrest. The defendant gets all of their Constitutional rights and a second trip to jail and a brand new bonding fee. They might also have some hard questions for their counsel.

Posts: 293 | Location: Austin, TX, US | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree strongly with Bradley and Clay.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We routinely dismiss cases after a request for examining trial, then indict, if the case merits indictment.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
What's wrong, John, can't your local judges read?

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John, baby, don't let some Austin lobbyist call you out like that without a comeback.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
*ROFLMAO* Thanks for entertaining me while I work late tonight. And JR - there are probably enough of us in north Texas who might take you up on that offer for beers - any one else see that in the deleted post before JR hit delete? Wasn't that a round for everyone on the forum? Wink

[This message was edited by Gretchen on 11-01-06 at .]

[This message was edited by Gretchen on 11-01-06 at .]

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gretchen:
*ROFLMAO* Thanks for entertaining me while I work late tonight. And JR - there are probably enough of us in north Texas who might take you up on that offer for beers - any one else see that in the deleted post before JR hit delete? Wasn't that a round for everyone on the forum? Wink

I DID see that post, and the one I saw invited ALL Texas prosecutors to his house this weekend for a round table discussion on this issue, beer gratis of the host. Is that the one you saw Gretch? Big Grin

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I DID see that post, and the one I saw invited ALL Texas prosecutors to his house this weekend for a round table discussion on this issue, beer gratis of the host. Is that the one you saw Gretch?

That's the one! Big Grin

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee whiz, haven't I been kicked around enough this week? Roll Eyes

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you email directions to your house, JR? Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Captain Needa

You just disappeared. Wink

A beer, please?

posted Hide Post
It's that pesky post number that gives you away, JR, er, I mean, Capt. Needa. Do you want us to bring snacks?
\
I think there is a section on changing your user name in The Perfect Plea. Scott Brumley told me about it. Wink

posted Hide Post
I have the perfect image for this thread but alas, can't post it because it is on my computer and I don't know a place on the web that has the image.

posted Hide Post
Captain Needa, I forgive you.

If you can't find a picture of a beer, I'll take the real deal.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have the perfect image for this thread but alas, can't post it because it is on my computer and I don't know a place on the web that has the image.

Email it to us, GG.