TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Brady-include consulting expert's opinion re sanity at time of offense?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brady-include consulting expert's opinion re sanity at time of offense? Login/Join 
posted
Does Brady require disclosure of a prosecution's consulting psychiatrist's opinion re whether D was insane at time of offense, if the opinion is not helpful to the prosecution? D was examined by the prosecution's consulting psychiatrist year after the offense re defense of insanity--PTSD.

Posts: 17 | Registered: August 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. It's favorable to the defense.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good rule of thumb once stated by someone wiser than I was that if you have to ask if something is Brady material, then it is.

A better rule is open file, imho. Completely open. Solves all problems.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My team once had to spend 20 pages of writ response and bring a witness back from Russia in order to respond to a non-existent, inadmissible, and unfavorable opinion from an expert. It was a beating. Better to turn it over and then defend the ineffective assistance of counsel claim when the defense doesn't achieve anything with the report.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+ 1 on open files. BUT open files are not a total panacea. Be acutely aware that Brady violations can occur even with an open file policy. Take a look at Chip Wilkinson's TDCAA publication "Brady Duties & the Pre-trial Disclosures of Evidence" at 15.

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read those cases, Mr. S, and just looked at them again. Isn't there a case out there about going one step further and providing a copy of the state's file as satisfying Brady as long as it is properly supplemented?

When I provide a copy of the state's file pretrial to defense counsel, sans tcic and ncic, in my response letter I include the following statement if I find no Brady material:

" I am tendering you a copy of the State's file and although the undersigned is not aware of any exculpatory evidence, the file is being provided to you for notice of any evidence that may be so interpreted by you."

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post