TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Anyone dealt with Bootleg DVDs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone dealt with Bootleg DVDs? Login/Join 
posted
One of our troopers stopped a SUV and discovered 1500 bootleg DVDs of recent movies, some of which were still in theaters. The Feds have declined to take the case, apparently 1500 DVD just wasn't enough for them to bother. Has anyone indicted or charged a defendant for possession of bootleg DVD, videos, CDs or the like? If so, which statute did you use and can you send me a copy of your complaint or indictment? I see a couple of possibly applicable sections of the Business and
Commerce Code, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what worked best. You can email me at with any helpful materials. Thanks for your time!

Posts: 67 | Location: Sulphur Springs, TX | Registered: April 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Prosecutor had an article on Movie Piracy in its July/August 2005 issue. I kept the article for future reference. If you cannot get a copy, let me know your fax number and I can send you a copy.

Posts: 66 | Location: New Braunfels, Texas, USA | Registered: October 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used Business & Commerce Code Sec. 35.94 twice in the last 5 years. Sample indictment:

then and there, for private financial gain, knowingly possess or transport for the purpose of sale at least sixty-five unauthorized recordings during a 180-day period and the outside cover, box, or jacket of said recording did not then and there clearly and conspicuously disclose the name and address of the manufacturer.

An investigator employed by the Motion Picture Association was very helpful.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post